Thursday, February 19, 2009

When in Doubt, Read : on the Sookie books

Nancy at 'When in Doubt, Read " blog writes a nice review of Sookie books and Season 1.

I wonder what it is in the gestalt that is making vampires so popular these days?

Maybe it's how we're feeling about guys like Bernie Madoff, or the IRS?

It seems as though every so often vampires, er, resurrect as a cultural icon, perhaps with a slight re-working, but generally representing some deep, slightly sexual, definitely dangerous fascination with death, immortality, and the nature of evil.

In the early 1800s Byron and his ilk were clearly delighted by all things dark and dangerous - Byron supposedly penned the poem "The Vampyre," though it was later credited to his pusher and physician, Dr. Polidori (who, it seems wrote the poem about Byron). And then in the mid-1800s, "Varney the Vampire" was published, followed about 40 years later by Bram Stoker definitive "Dracula."

It was this last that, probably unintentionally, pushed the vampire story into its present form: vampire as demon lover, as opposed to vampire as nasty, graveyard-smelly bloodsucker. Just think: Frank Langella's Dracula, versus Max Schreck's Nosferatu.


Read on here

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a great review for the show but really mediocre for the books I thought. She describes the books as

"just after-dinner mints. The mysteries aren't even particularly mysterious - the murders are more a way to put our heroine in danger and allow her to be rescued, and most likely bedded, by one or more of the handsome, hedonistic, otherworldly heros."

I thought it was harsh words for a series of books that I love very much and even more so than "True Blood" the series.

The one thing I love in the books more than in "True Blood" is that Sookie is more self sufficient and strong. In the TV show she is more little girl like (not so much as Charlaine had intended her to be, but a close second none the less).

This is just my opinion!

" Dallas " said...

Thanks Anon
I certainly agree that the books are much more than " after dinner mints "
I am an unabashed bookie myself.
I think it's interesting how the comparison to the TV show effects people's opinion on the book series. I'm just so pleased that Nancy put so much thought into her review...it over all was very interesting, even if I didn't agree with every word.