Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Hey Authors, Do you want a great guide to promoting and selling your own book online?

Best part it's $4..yeah, 4 and by Dana Stabenow. BUY HERE

Hi, I'm Dana Stabenow, the author of 25 novels, including the Edgar-award winning, New York Times best-selling Kate Shugak series.

I was invited to guest blog on Jungle Red Writers in February 2009. I cast about for a subject that hadn't already been done to death ("Where I get my ideas" or "Sex in the Kate Shugak series"). I was at the tail end of putting together an extensive Internet promotional campaign for my next book, Whisper to the Blood: A Kate Shugak Novel (Kate Shugak Novels), and I thought, Why not that?

Little did I know when I received the invitation in 2008 how very topical the subject was going to be in early 2009. The economy tanked and the publishing industry tanked right along with it. Publishers are being fired, publishing houses are laying off staff, newspapers are no longer doing book reviews, the books-and-mortar bookstores who have traditionally been very powerful in spreading word of mouth are going down like ninepins, and chain stores are cutting stock and moving what's left from up front to the bargain tables faster every month.

It's a scary world out there for an author who is trying to make a living.....

This is the nuts-and-bolts approach to online promotion. I had some advice from my webmaster, the incomparable Scott Gere of GereDonovan Creative, but most of it I learned on my own. It took a lot of hours and a lot of sweat equity, because HTML doesn't come easily to me.

But I made it work. And if I can do this, believe me, you can, too.

Note to Amazon review: Obviously, this isn't a review, I just figured you might like a little taste of Promoting Your Book Online to help you decide if you want to spend four bucks on it.

Charlaine talks about this on her blog and recommends it.

0 comments: