Friday, May 15, 2009

How does Sookie feel in Dead and Gone?

One of the first things I think we should look at in the book are the many, many times in 'Dead and Gone' we are told by Sookie that she doesn't feel well, feel like herself or feels out of control.

We know the book is told in the first person narrative and it's being told to us by someone who by her own admission isn't feeling "right"

What ones have missed and what does this mean ?

It took me a moment to pull myself back into my own skin. My life was too weird. I had that out-of-control feeling again, as if I were spinning too fast to stop. pg 46

It was like holding hands with a statue, a very beautiful statue. Again, I felt oddly peaceful for a few minutes. Pg 48

I was mad at almost everybody when I drove home that night. Every now and then, I had spells like that; maybe everyone does. It's hormonal or cyclical in some other way. Or maybe it's just the chance alignment of the stars. I was angry with Jason because I'd been angry with him for months. I was angry with Sam in a kind of hurt way. I was pissed at the FBI agents because they were here to put pressure on me-though in truth they hadn't done that yet. I was outraged at Eric's stunt with the knife and his high-handed banishment of Quinn, though I had to admit Eric had spoken the truth when he said I'd given Quinn the heave-ho first. That didn't mean I never wanted to see him again. (Or did it?) It sure didn't mean that Eric could dictate to me who I saw and who I didn't. And maybe I was angry with myself, because when I'd had the chance to confront Eric about all kinds of stuff, I'd gone all goopy and listened to his reminiscences pg 61

I had a weird, out-of-body feeling. Pg 74

Yet here he was, and his big warm hands were resting on my shoulders. Any pleasure I might have felt at seeing him again was drowned by the wave of anxiety that swept over me. I felt trouble in the air."You shouldn't be here," I said. "Eric turned down your request; he told me so.""No, but that's not the point," I said. I felt rage on the wind. It wasn't my rage.
"I think it is."pg 76

It was almost impossible for me to feel anxious, I noticed in a distant kind of way. And yet surely I ought to be upset and angry? pg 78

If I was getting harder, it was in response to the world around me. Jason pg 85

I was still feeling the ebbing power of the huge wave of guilt that had washed over me. I should have been upset that the Fellowship guy was dead, I suppose. But I wasn't. pg 93

I climbed into my car, feeling absolutely numb I felt cold to the bone and wished for the first time that Sam had thought about stocking a Merlotte's sweatshirt. My reflection in the bathroom mirror was awful: I was white as a vampire, I had big circles under my eyes, and I guessed I looked exactly like someone who'd seen a lot of people bleeding that day.pg 93

I had to stand still for a minute because the room seemed to be a little lopsided. After a second or two, I felt steadier. I wondered if I could make it through the evening.pg 95

I had another moment of sickening dizziness, but it passed quickly, as it had before. Sam didn't even notice. He was lost in gloomy reflection, at least as far as I could read his twisty shapeshifter mind.pg 96

Feeling oddly numb, pg 109

Maybe, since I'd had Eric's blood, I was feeling the heat of his battle rage.pg 134

And finally..

He bent and kissed my cheek. There was power in his touch, and I suddenly felt better. Before Jason could gather himself to object, Niall kissed his forehead, and Jason’s tense muscles relaxed. pg 139 ( last paragraph)

6 comments:

Jenni Lou said...

But what does it all mean? What little seeds (or as CH would say "bombs") is CH planting here? Ugh, another year of waiting!

Nice compilation of quotes, Dallas. Thanks!

Sarah said...

I, like Sookie it seems, question how much control she even has over her own feelings anymore. I would be a frazzled mess considering all she's gone through. It often appears as if she is being controlled emotionally by the vampires she has shared blood with. Definately food for thought. Good post!

jenpall said...

I, initially, thought that the Blood Bond and everything associated with it was making her feel strange, but thena friend of mine pointed out that maybe she could be pregnant... "as Eric lives on in Sookie"... More food for thought.

Unknown said...

I believe Charlaine has said vampires cannot impregnate humans in Sookieverse. That would have made a lot of sense though! Maybe it was the intensity of the blood bond, however it almost seemed to me like it was lessening in effect towards the end of the book.

KathyD said...

I was wondering if anyone else picked up on Sookie's feelings on the last day--that day she woke up to find Trey being sick in her bathroom. On page 240 -"I woke up with a feeling of alarm. I wondered if I'd had another dream, one I didn't remember." And on page 245 where she finds her GGF in her living room--"Though it was early, I had my second stab of anxiety for the day." I wonder if she was feeling something from Eric thru the blood bond. Maybe something was happening to him at that point, which later prevented him from coming to her rescue. (JMHO, but I wonder if someone was trying to stake him--I do not trust that Bobby Burnham, his daytime guy)--also why did he need Pam's blood to heal at the end of the book, if he only had a cut on his arm? It is going to be so hard to wait another year to find out the answers to some of these questions!! Thanks again Dallas!

sthrnvampgirl said...

Wow... I love this collection of quotes. Having them all here in one place puts it all in perspective. You know, Charlaine does say on her website , I agree, that vampires cannot impregnate humans. I am going to think this is having something to do with all of Eric's blood Sookie has had to take in. I also know that Charlaine says on her site, she never intends to turn Sookie. Which negates my other thought , that maybe she is starting to get "turned" from all of the vampire blood. So... not sure what is going on, other than she is getting a very close blood bond with Eric??