Sunday, June 28, 2009

True Blood S02E01 – “Nothin But The Blood” Music Review By Boadicea

Thanks to the amazing Boadicea for agreeing to do these little music highlight posts for us ...

True Blood S02E01 – “Nothin But The Blood”

Music Review

By Boadicea

The geniuses behind the music selection of True Blood began the season on a high note (yes … pun intended). It’s going to be a bloody season, a very bloody season with the first episode properly named “Nothin But The Blood”.

We’re reminded of our first impression last year of True Blood with its theme song, ‘Bad Things’ by Jace Everett. “…You came in, the air went out. And all those shadows, there, filled up with doubt. I don’t know who you think you are, but before the night is through … I wanna do bad things with you. I wanna do real bad things with you. I don’t know what you’ve done to me, but I know this much is true … I wanna do bad things with you. I wanna do real bad things with you.”

Then there is always the beautifully haunting music by Nathan Barr – composer and performing artist of “Bill’s Entrance”, “Bill & Sookie’s Love Theme”, “Bill & Sookie Come Together”, “Take Me Home” with Lisbeth Scott, and many more of the original background scores. Who wouldn’t want an entire cd of nothing but Nathan Barr’s music. (ME .. ME ..*hint*hint*)
Amongst each episode’s bloodlust and sexual lust, a particular song will stand out.

Episode 2.01 “Nothin’ But The Blood”: The most subliminal song was “The Golden State” by John Doe (featuring Kathleen Edwards). The lyrics refer closely to Bill & Sookie’s struggling relationship; the developing relationship of Tara & Eggs; Sam & Maryanne’s past relationship; and, all the bloody creatures and happenings in Bon Temps:

You are the hole in my head I am the pain in your neck
You are the lump in my throat I am the aching in your heart
We are tangled
We are stolen
We are living where things are hidden

You are something in my eye

And I am the shiver down your spine

You are on the lick of my lips

And I am on the tip of your tongue
We are tangled

We are stolen

We are buried up to our necks in sand
We are luck
We are fate

We are the feeling you get in the golden state

We are love

We are hate

We are the feeling I get when you walk away….

Walk away

Well you are the dream in my nightmare
I am that falling sensation
You are not needles and pills
I am your hangover morning
We are tangled
We are stolen
We are living where things are hidden

You are the hole in my head

You are the pain in your neck

You are the lump in my throat
I am the aching in your heart

And we’re still wondering … who’s going to do what bad things to whom, when and how much?
This song and others can be listened to: http://www.imeem.com/boadicea

0 comments: