Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In Which True Blood Ruins My Vampire Yahtzee Fantasies

haha from Meredith at io9 ( she was a guest reviewer on the Sunday show with me and Sookie 2 weeks ago and was great)

This is what Meredith thinks Bill texted

"SUUUUKIE I WILL BE RETIRING AT THE PALACE, I WILL RETURN UPON NIGHTFALL. I WILL REQUIRE RELATIONS. ERIC IS EVIL. XO - VAMPIRE BILL"

Last night was the big campy Queen vampire reveal. Will she be pretty? Will she be rich? here's what vampire Evan Rachel Woods said to me... que sera sera.

This episode seemed to tread water a little bit, much like last week's, but at least we got in some quality Eric time. Seriously, he was all over the place with his Matrix-flying dress-wearing Swedish ass. And we approved of all of that. The rest? Well, kind of a crazy let down. But let me tell it to you, "Pro and Con" style.

Con: Evan Rachel Wood's Queen schtick. Was she a whole lotta glam packed in one tiny body? Yes. Well styled? Yes. Did she have a fabulous day room? Yes. Was she handed some of the best one-liners in True Blood History? Oh yes. The True Blood crew, writers, and stylists set this character up with the most non-fail safety net in the history of sexy vampires who say clever things. Which is why I'm shocked to the core at how she single handedly almost destroyed this character entirely. Her delivery came across as brittle, wooden and, well, dead.

read on

7 comments:

JoAnn Stringer said...

This is the funniest thing I've read this week and there have been some funny reviews. But the best part are the comments, they had me holding my hand over my mouth as I'm supposed to be doing work!

Sylvia said...

This review is so on point. I don't know if there were a way for me to possibly agree more with it.

Anonymous said...

A funny review though very harsh, especially about Rachael Wood’s interpretation of the Sophie-Ann.

Wood is very capable actor and Alan Ball can see her performance and give her direction when needed. Her role was limited, she only provided information with the audiance and to introduce her character for next season. I believe the writing and the acting was intentionally over the top frivolous, humorous, (vampire style) flirty with inane comments to show she did not care about the mundane issues at hand and was above it all.
She is putting on an act for her court. I have seen many a social butterfly behave the same way when there is an audience. Get them alone and they are serious as a grave. I did not think Wood's performance was winking at the audience. It was intentional; she covers her ruthless, deadly, political scheming side with a façade of glamour and fluff. It is an act and we know it.

I have confidence that Alan Ball will show us why he selected Wood for the role and the writting will reveal why Sophie Ann is vampire queen of LA.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. The Queen's flip tone may have been intentional, but her acting was atrocious, esp. when viewed against the ensemble. Her wink wink, look at me, aren't I fabulous persona was took me completely out of the show. A rare and major screw up.

Anonymous said...

Do u all remember episode 8 in the first season when Bill told Eric he hated to text because he hated using the number keys to type so why the sudden change of things this the first time he has text someone of course it would be Sookie but I don't think the Queen would of cared if he called Sookie but I guess better safe than sorry and texting is quiet...lol

Anonymous said...

The comments would be funnier if people stopped saying nasty, discriminatory things about blonde women.

Are you allowed to joke about skin colour too? About how what colour you are determines your intelligence? I think not.

The review is pretty accurate though. How can a show that had such a good first season be such a convoluted disappointment in season two?!

Sylvia said...

Anon are you talking about the comments on the review's website? I think the jokes were being made because she is not a natural blonde and as such the clothing choices don't compliment her skin tone like they would if she were a natural blonde.
I don't know, I didn't read all of the comments so maybe you read one that I didn't see but I did see a conversation about her clothing choices and how it related to her hair color.