Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Review: Must Love Hellhounds by Charlaine Harris

Has anyone else read the new short story, 'The Britlingens Go To Hell' by Charlaine Harris this from Hilcia on Impressions blog

Batanya and Covache, two Britlingen Collective bodyguards are contracted by Crick to go to Hell. He needs to collect an object he stole from Lucifer but left there while escaping from imprisonment. Batanya is assigned this dangerous duty by her superior Tovis, who seems to be obsessed with harassing her.

In this world, witchcraft is enhanced by science and the witches facilitate transportation for the bodyguards. Batanya, Covache and Crick battle their way through the dark and dangerous tunnels of Hell and on their way meet Hell's monsters, Amelia Earhart, Narcissus and two hellhounds.

This is my first Charlaine Harris read and I'm afraid neither the story nor the writing grabbed my attention. The addition of Earhart and Narcissus to the story came out of left field for me and threw me out of the story. This novella was the weakest in the anthology for me.

read on

1 comments:

vampfan said...

Well if it's the first Charlaine Harris story she's read, then does she even understand the Britlingens? There's a few references in the story to Rhodes and the hotel bombing. I liked the story, but you really should read the Sookie Stackouse series first to really "get" it.