Thursday, October 15, 2009

Alex Skarsgard: I retired aged 13!

Alexander Skarsgard is back in the spotlight, despite 'retiring' at the age of 13.

The actor, who plays True Blood's Eric Northman and Sgt Brad 'Iceman' Colbert in Generation Kill, claims he gave up acting back in 1989.

"I did my first movie when I was seven, and then I worked for about six years, doing movies and television in Sweden but then I quit and didn't work at all for seven years," he said.

He continued: "Back then in good old Sweden, we only had two TV channels so whatever was on, people would watch. I did a movie for television there, and it had a huge impact. Suddenly people recognised me wherever I went, and it just made me very uncomfortable."

With his famous father, Stellan Skarsgard, who has starred in films such as Mamma Mia! and Ronin, you might think Alexander would have been to get some tips on dealing with fame from his old man, but his celebrity preceded his dad's, who, back in the late Eighties, was a jobbing actor in Stockholm theatres.

"He wasn't that big a star when I grew up. The thing that took him to Hollywood was Breaking The Waves, the Lars von Trier movie, in 1996. I was already 20 years old by that point," said Alexander.

read on

3 comments:

Rita said...

I think it did Alex good to retire
at age 13,as we might not have ever known him.And i would hate to think if that had happened.We would not
know of all that gorgousness and his
acting,like i have said before he
seems to have a good head on his
shoulders as to what he wants now.

Sharon said...

I agree, Rita. I think it made him more like a real person. That sounds dumb, but I mean he is probably less self-centered than many actors. And he is a great actor. Thank goodness his hotness and America found each other!

And his dad was great in Mamma Mia. I love that movie. I don't like most chick flicks, but I love musicals, and that was a really good one. By the time it is over, I have achy cheeks from smiling so much.

Jeniffer said...

yeah!! i totally agree he was a normal guy before becoming famous, more down to earth!!! he wasn`t one of those childs that grew up in the middle of the showbizz!!!!