Saturday, October 31, 2009

Go Ask Dallas: Sookie and Halloween

What really happens in the Sookie books involving Halloween ? This is tricky ( haha) and involves a bit of trivia and a 'mistake'

Ok, first to the trivia question ?

What Sookie book/story happens on Halloween ?
Hint : There are 2 right answers

I'll give you the correct answer(s) tomorrow (if no one post its in the comments) but here are a couple of great Halloween book quotes from books 3 & 8

In Club Dead: Sookie says to Alcide about the Club "They can come in? Regular people?" I asked, nodding toward the single metal door. It looked as uninviting as a door can look. There was no name anywhere on it, or on the building, for that matter. No Christmas decorations, either. (Of course, vampires don'tobserve holidays, e xcept for Halloween. It's the ancient festival of Samhain dressed up in trappings that the vamps find delightful. So Halloween's a great favorite, and it's celebrated worldwide in the vamp community.

Then in Dead to Worse:

We see this scene "Did you get an invitation for the Fangtasia Halloween party this year?" he asked. "No. After the last party they invited me to, they might not want me to come back,"

I said. "Besides, with all the recent losses, I don't know if Eric'll feel like celeb
rating." "You think we ought to have a Halloween party at Merlotte's?" he asked. "Maybe not with candy and stuff like that," I said, thinking hard. "Maybe a goodie bag for each customer, with dry roasted peanuts? Or a bowl of orange popcorn on each table? And some decorations?"

Sam looked in the direction of the bar as if he could see through the walls.
"That sounds good. Make a thing of it." Ordinarily we only decorated for Christmas, and that only after Thanksgiving, at Sam's insistence.
Then the next evening this : There weren't too many houses between mine and Merlotte's, but all of them had ghosts hanging from trees, inflated plastic pumpkins in the yard,and a real pumpkin or two sitting on the front porch.

The Prescotts had a sheaf of corn, a bale of hay, and some ornamental squash and pumpkins arranged artfully on the front lawn. I made a mental memo to tell Lorinda Prescott how attractive it was when next I saw her at Wal-Mart or the postoffice.


I worked too hard the rest of the night to think about any of the interesting things that had happened that day. After the patrons all left, even Jane Bodehouse (her son came to get her), we put out the Halloween decorations.

Sam had gotten a little pumpkin for each table and painted a face on each one. I was filled with admiration, because the faces were really clever, and some of them looked like bar patrons. In fact, one looked a lot like my dear brother.
"I had no idea you could do this," I said, and he looked pleased. "It was fun," he said, and hung a long strand of fall leaves- of course, they were actually made of cloth-around the bar mirror and among some of the bottles.

I tacked up a life-size cardboard skeleton with little rivets at the joints so it could be positioned. I arranged this one so it was clearly dancing. We couldn't have any depressing skeletons at the bar. We had to have happy ones.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Dallas! ok we have hslloween October
31st.Vampires in February,called
Dracula Night.

Rita said...

Halloween sorry

Rita said...

Dallas! The book is Club Dead #3 not
Living Dead In Dallas #2,and the
latter was in From Dead To Worse #8.
I maybe all wrong.

" Dallas " said...

I corrected bk2 to bk 3
Yes, Club dead and From Dead to Worse