Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's Really Going on With All These Vampires?


From Esquire

Forget everything you've read
about vampires so far. The current bloodsucking trend, achieving maximum ferocity in November with the release of the sequel to Twilight, isn't about outsiders or immigrants or religion or even AIDS, as critics and bloggers have argued ad nauseam these past few months. There's a much better, simpler, more obvious explanation: Vampires have overwhelmed pop culture because young straight women want to have sex with gay men. Not all young straight women, of course, but many, if not most, of them. Neil Gaiman, sci-fi novelist and geek grandmaster, found out just how many during the shitstorm of pique that covered him from head to toe this past summer after he suggested in an interview that the vampire craze had run its course and should disappear for another twenty to twenty-five years. (Twilight fans took to Twitter in protest.) A foolish hope. The craving for vampire fiction is not a matter of taste but of urges; one does not read or watch it so much as inject it through the eyes, and like any epidemic, it's symptomatic of something much larger: a quiet but profound sexual revolution and a new acceptance of freakiness in mainstream American life.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

"...because young straight women want to have sex with gay men"
In what reality does this person live?
Women just want to have sex with the hotness that is portrayed as "single, straight, young vampires"!
And this opinion comes from an old straight woman who would like to have sex with "single, straight, young vampires".
Of course, my husband might have something to say about that.

Rita said...

Well i will agree with you on this
one Sharon,and my husband would have
something to say about that,as he
already thinks i focus on one now
as it is.(Eric)

Sharon said...

HA! I know the feeling. I've collected pictures of AS and made them into my screensaver on my laptop, as well as having him as wallpaper on both my laptop and desktop. Our couch acts as a room divider so people are forever walking behind me and if I'm sitting here with new pictures of AS popping up every few seconds, I get some pretty wiseass remarks from passing family members. Except my daughter, who is likely to stop and lean over my shoulder to watch.