Sunday, December 13, 2009

Go Ask Dallas : What's the deal with Dead in the Family (Sookie bk#10) cover and why isn't it on CH site?

There sure has been a lot of fuss over the supposed 'leaked' Sookie #10: Dead in the Family book cover this past week. On the CH fan forum no one is still even allowed to post, discuss or even mention it without the post being deleted.

So, as usual -I'm getting lots of emails .....

To which I say ...what the F? What the hell is all the fuss about ??? I mean, really !

I really don't know why Charlaine has been sitting in the cover for so long without putting it on her own website and why she chose not to be the first to post it. I do know her publisher gave the image of the cover to Project Paranormal video team ( which is a project of Penguin books) to be used in the "Holiday Author Greetings" videos and they used it and the videos were posted on Dec 10th.

Run the video below to 0:52 or so and there you will see it embedded in the video as Charlaine is talking.

I've heard lots of whining about unauthorized books covers being posted on fan sites and speculations as to whether it's really "the" cover. I just don't get this controversy at all -because the publisher themselves posted the video ( with the cover ) then we ( TB/Sookie fan blogs) all posted the cover and started talking about it, NOTHING nefarious about it at all.

Her publisher put it out there and we talked about it .... case closed.
I say, let the discussion begin ...

Oh and remember we are having a special 'Dead in the Family' edition of our "Talk Blood " radio show this Sunday night ! Let's talk more about this then....




6 comments:

Rita said...

Dallas!if the publisher did this then
some one should tell Ms.CH about it,
but if she is waiting 1.5 week to
put the chapter up then she will want
to put them up together i guess.If
that is what happened don't sweat it.
Not your problem,love you.

" Dallas " said...

Yes --Rita this goes back to CH usually putting the cover up in late November -looks like she had it then but just chose to hold it.

Now, that I don't know why -

Yes 'Project Paranormal' is an official project of her publisher Penguin books.

Yep, no sweat from me - but feather seem to be needlessly ruffled and I wanted everyone to know that IT WAS posted on an official source and it is really 'THE cover' and not some hoax or nefarious (stolen) thing some sites were posting.

Anonymous said...

I agree, I don't understand what is going on with the black ban on discussion on her forum.

It's like the twilight zone...you can discuss something that's all over the web everywhere except for on the author's official site.

I don't see the point in either with holding it any longer, nor in implying that they don't know how it got out.

The whole thing is bizarre.

Joan said...

THE FIRST CHAPTER IS UP ON CH's SITE!!!!!

GOING TO READ IT NOW!!!!

Joan said...

NO, NEVERMIND. I CLICKED THERE ON THE WRONG LINE. SORRY!!! (going to hide now)

Sharon said...

Oh, Joan, thank God you were wrong. I'm so tired I just want to go to bed and if that chapter were up, I would have to go read it.

I quit going to the blog on CH's site long ago.

Sometimes I think authors and, tv-wise, directors and producers, decide their creativity is the most important thing and their fans are not. But it's the fans who are laying out the money that pays them. But they have the right to do what they want. If they lose fans as a consequence, perhaps they missed a bigger message.

After saying all that, I'll get the book the day it comes out and read Ch 1 as soon as Dallas (my main news source) tells me its up.