Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Charlaine Harris blogs some hints about next Sookie Stackhouse book !

Charlaine posted today :

I don't know why I always finish books in such a desperate scramble. Like the old proverb of a horse running when it smells its own barn, I'm always dashing toward the finish line. I always seem to be about two weeks behind schedule (usually, I tell myself, due to traveling). And there's always a good reason I want to have the book finished by a definite date – a vacation, a wedding, another project that has to be finished, or whatever.
I'm in the usual rush to conclude Sookie 12. This is the longest one of my books has gone without a title, and I'm not happy about that, but it was hard to determine the theme of the book. There are generic titles with "dead" in them I could use for almost any book, but I do like the title to be relevant. The rose just hasn't bloomed; but I'll bet it will in the next two weeks.
While I know where I want to be at the end of each book, I don't always know how I'm getting there. Sometimes I surprise myself. Last night, Sookie got kidnapped, and I'm going to see how that shakes out. A character I thought was dead is probably alive, and I'm real happy for him. Then again, if the work doesn't go so well today, he may be dead again. This is the fun (and the panic) of being a writer. Every day brings decisions, and I have the power of life and death and procreation over all these people I've invented.
It's both fun and an awesome (and awful) responsibility. When I was writing by myself, before we all connected on the web and in so many personal appearances, it was easy to go my own way. Now my attention has been drawn to the fact that lots of people are waiting on my way to be picked. Scary!
My first responsibility is to my characters and to my own vision as a writer. There, my path is clearly marked.
Running neck and neck with that is my responsibility to write the best book I can. I always try. Sometimes, it works. Sometimes, the work falls short of my intention. That's the way it goes in any endeavor.
How readers react to the book is not my responsibility. There, I can only hope.
It took me some years and a lot of both joy and anguish to figure all this out.
And now, back to the computer screen, and a guy who may or may not be dead.
I'll find out in a page or two.
Charlaine Harris

read on here 

she also recommended some books

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What was the name of the were that acted as Sookies bodyguard for a while and had a thing with Amelia? I can't remember his name! Was it Tray? Troy? Something like that. Anyway, I think/hope that he is the guy, but I'm almost sure it isn't :(

That Sookie was kidnapped, well, what's new? She's alway in some kind of trouble.

Exciting news either way. Can't wait for the next book!

Rita said...

Well i hadn't thought of Tray but that would be nice.