Wednesday, August 3, 2011

'True Blood' Carrie Preston: 'Arlene is there to be ridiculed'

True Blood star Carrie Preston has admitted that Arlene is there to be laughed at.

Preston, who has played Arlene since the show began in 2008, explained that she has always tried to stop the character being solely the butt of jokes.

"The role is designed by the writers to play on the stereotype of Southerners in the media," she told The AV Club. "She's designed to be ridiculed.

"What I like about playing her is being able to ground her in some kind of truth while still honoring that humor and that thing that she represents. I love it that I'm responsible for serving up the humor on the show, but what has been wonderful for me is that the writers have also given me more dramatic things to deal with."

read on

0 comments: