Saturday, January 3, 2009

And I don’t even LIKE vampires!

From Dewey at Dewey's Dartboard- i like reading reviews from male fans of the show, he is also a librarian. I did tell him when the season is supposed to start ...and I asked him to write about Club Dead

Let’s face it. I am not usually a fan of anything vampire.

I did read “Interview with a Vampire” by Anne Rice but after about the second book, I stopped.

I have not read or seen anything in the Twilight series.

I don’t dress in black, or paint my nails black, or wear black lipstick, and I really don’t care for bats.

But when I started to watch the TV series True Blood, it was all over.

I became addicted. Totally, and inexorably enthralled.

The story is about Sookie Stackhouse, who is a barmaid that works in a small town in Louisiana. She is a telepath and can read people’s thoughts. One day, a tall dark and swarthy vampire named Bill walks into the bar, and Sookie is taken with him. This leads to a series of aventures, as there is a murderer loose in town and everybody wants to blame the vampire. In the world of True Blood, vampires have basically “come out” and can now interact with the general human population. Some Japanese scientists have created synthetic blood called “True Blood” and the vamps don’t have to feed on humans, even if many still like to.

Sookie works for Sam, who we soon find out has a secret of his own. It is a terrific show. The acting is good, the plot carries you right along, and every episode has a cliff hanger at the end that makes you want to start watching the next one immediately. The show is up for several Golden Globes, and I can see why. It really is entertaining.

The show itself is based on a series of books by Arkansas author Charlaine Harris. I have read other series by Ms. Harris but have avoided the vampire novels because (as we have covered) I don’t like vampires.

But now, after watching True Blood (the entire season one is based on the first book of the series) I had to have more.

Thank god I work in a library.

I headed over to the mystery section and went to H for Harris (we really do try to make things easy to find in the library, even if most people can’t ever seem to find anything) and managed to locate the first five books in the series.

I decided to skip the first one (as the TV series covered that plotline) and started in on book two - Living Dead in Dallas. And I love it. I managed to read it in one day and am now currently sitting reading the third book in the series - Club Dead.

There is Sookie, the telepath, who narrates the novels, and vampire Bill, and his boss, Eric, the sherriff vampire. And there are a whole mess of supernatural creatures out there left to discover. Harris has a great writing style. The characters are fun and realistic. There is enough humor to keep the books light, and enough mystery to keep the books suspensful and interesting. And none of the books are particularly long so you can knock one off in a day or two. They are fun reads, even for those of us who don’t like vampires!

Be aware that the TV series has a bit of sex (well more than a bit) and some gore, so it might not be appropriate for younger viewers.

I just have to find out when season two is going to start.

Remember the author, Charlaine Harris! Look for her in a library or bookstore near you!

http://deweydjb.wordpress.com/

0 comments: