Saturday, January 3, 2009

I finished DEAD AND GONE for the second time this week

Did you know that Charlaine re-wrote the entire ending to Dead and Gone ( Book 9 ) and made other character changes ?She wrote about it on her blog on August 12th 2008, I am also a big fan of Lisa D and her wonderful covers.

I finished DEAD AND GONE for the second time this week. The first ending simply sucked, and a late addition to the characters had to be inserted throughout the book, and another character had to be shored up and given more page time . . . oh, decisions, decisions. Maybe the reason I hate to make decisions in everyday life is because I have to make so many professionally. When my dear first readers (Toni Kelner and Dana Cameron) give me the green light, off DEAD AND GONE will go to my editor at Ace, Ginjer Buchanan, and then the book will begin wending its way through the production process. In the meantime, the first version of the book (hopefully) has given the cover artist, Lisa Desimini, enough material to start her magic.

Everywhere I go, I hear comments on the covers. Every now and then, I find a protester who says that the covers look like children’s book cover art and are therefore deceptive, considering the contents of the books. And every now and then, I hear from a reader who says a bookstore put them in the children’s section because of the naïve cover art. But on the whole readers seem to be enthusiastic about the style and quality of Lisa’s work, and I must say that I’m delighted with the covers, myself. The consistent elements do a lot to make the books stand out as a series. I always have a cover framed, and they look very attractive grouped together in my hall. (I’m running out of hall, though.)

This is my shout-out to Lisa, to let her know publicly that I think her covers have done a lot to sell my books.

Read on here :
http://www.charlaineharris.com/bb/bb122.html

2 comments:

The Cozy Mystery Journal said...

Thanks for the note on my review. Personally, I love the covers. They are so simple and stand out.

Kita St. Cyr said...

The covers are ghastly.