Thursday, April 9, 2009

True Blood is a: Fatal attraction

True Blood is one new series to sink your teeth into.
By SUZANNE LAZAROO

FOR a few years, my life has been bereft of a vampire series I can sink my teeth into. For seven seasons, Joss Whedon’s creative, imaginative series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (BTVS) rocked my world and ruled one day of my life each week.

It explored deeper themes of alienation, loss, gender issues and prejudices without losing its entertainment value or becoming too preachy, and balanced that with rich, lustrous mythical and pop culture references. Since it ended in 2003, no other vampire series has really grabbed my attention.

Angel was lacklustre, confusing and somehow soulless, (much as I watched it out of respect for its predecessor), Moonlight failed to elicit much more than a yawn and don’t even get me started on the dismal semi-B-grade fare Blood Ties (although Kyle Schmid really does make a very pretty vampire boy).

So when all the buzz started about True Blood, I didn’t pay much attention. Just another vamp series focused on the always popular blood and sex themes, I thought. Which just goes to show, I have my prejudices. And really, that’s kind of the point of True Blood. Because (and big hurrah here, because it’s about damn time) the series marks the return of the kind of deeper social and political commentary that drew many of us to BTVS week after week.

Yes, it’s a series about vampires, and other supernatural creatures do get thrown into the mix. But more importantly, it’s a show about the natural prejudices we all have and an exploration of xenophobia, fear, the darkness of the soul and the rights of sentient beings. And love and death and sex, and all that other messy life stuff.

True Blood stars Stephen Moyer and Anna Paquin.

Read on http://star-ecentral.com/news/story.asp?file=/2009/4/8/tvnradio/3456424&sec=tvnradio

True Blood premieres on Max (Astro channel 412) tomorrow at 10pm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article - they say just about everything I think, but word it much better!

callonmybill said...

This is one of the best reviews I've read so far and I know it's for the Australian (?) market and a year later for us in the States. All the right points hit!