Wednesday, June 3, 2009

True Blood creator Alan Ball reveals what's coming in season two

If you didn't see the first season of HBO's True Blood, you'd better pay attention if you want be able to follow the show's second season, said creator and executive producer Alan Ball in an exclusive interview with SCI FI Wire.

"Everything gets deeper," Ball said on Tuesday. "Everything gets more intense. It's a lot scarier. It's sexier. It's just really, really fun. I feel like each season is a novel, and the episodes are just chapters. Especially the way our show is. The episodes are not self-contained. You know, you gotta be involved in the story, and you gotta know what's going on."

True Blood's second season begins June 14 in its Sunday 9 p.m. ET/PT timeslot. The season is based loosely on the second book in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse Series, Living Dead in Dallas, Ball said.

"Sookie [Anna Paquin] and Bill [Stephen Moyer] will go to Dallas to help find a missing vampire who is the sheriff of the Dallas area," Ball said. "And Jason [Ryan Kwanten] is going to become involved in the Fellowship of the Sun Church in a way that is really surprising. ... There's a very interesting relationship in the show between Rev. Steve Newland of the Fellowship of the Sun Church and his wife, Sarah [Anna Camp], and Jason, that just took on its own life as we were shooting, and it's hilarious. I can't get enough of the Newlands and Jason together."

And Sookie's hometown of Bon Temps will have some drama as well when Maryann Forrester, played by Michelle Forbes, "begins stirring up all kinds of trouble," Ball said. Last season Maryann appeared to offer Tara (Rutina Wesley) some goodwill and a place to stay. But "she's got an agenda, and it's not a good one," Ball said.

According to Ball, the vampire series will continue to explore the "terrors of intimacy, in that when you really, really open up and let another person into your life and your psyche, it can be terrifying—especially when that person is a vampire. ... And then there's just the whole exploration of the dark side of human nature," he said.

Read on

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

And still the stupid man won't mention Eric.

Anonymous said...

^and still the stupid person who keeps mentioning Eric

Rose said...

Gotta watch those directors of vampire shows, all snaky and manipulative. He must be hiding something (about Eric). (smile)

TeamEricSookie said...

I agree Rose. :D

=^..^=

Anonymous said...

Alan Ball isn't stupid. He's the genius behind Six Feet Under

Ana said...

Yeah, Alan knows his bussiness...

I'm an Eric fan, but really, it's not his time... I wanna enjoy Bill a little more... Stephen has done an amazing character for Bill and I can wait...

Anonymous said...

^Well said

Rita said...

I'll take as much of Eric or Bill
that i can get quite complaining

Lady Jane said...

This was a very good article. I am saddened thou Bubba won't be in the show but I totally understand why Ball did what he did. The could bring in another unknown to help Sookie the way Bubba did and call him something similar to Bubba's name. And I think that Eric in the next few seasons is going to grow into something we all like and we might see less and less of Bill like in the Books. Alan Ball is doing a great job.

And like I said over at the HBO boards...(when someone mentioned the Spoilers that Alan Ball put out the most important is CH is actually going to have a Cameo in Season Two) and I am quoting myself...

But I have to admit and I hope that people understand where I am coming from on this...

I think the Creator Alan Ball should show up in the Series at some point. When I watched the HBO Special that aired on May 24, 2009 about True Blood, I was very impressed with his "stage presence," charisma, and charm. I really like Alan Ball and I can see why Actors/Actresses like to work with him, he seems for lack of truly finding an eloquent word, GREAT!