Thursday, July 9, 2009

Are Gays Driving the Tremendous DVD Sales for HBO’s True Blood?

I don't know about the premise but the article has some interesting information..

It’s Not TV, It’s GAY-ch-B-O?

I’m sure this is definitely a somewhat old theory and old thinking for anyone who began watching True Blood when it debuted last September. But I just started watching last week, so I was late to the game.

For weeks now, I’ve been marveling at the DVD sales for HBO’s True Blood. It’s sold more units and made more revenue than any other TV show this year. The accomplishment is pretty phenomenal, and I’m going to hit you with quite a few numbers to showcase just how phenomenal it is before furthering the speculation on why it has performed so phenomenally. If you’re not interested in the numeric comparisons, skip down to “Why is it selling so well?” section below.

Read on

A Comparative Look at Recent TV Show DVD Sales:

In six weeks of release it has sold almost 1.2 million units and grossed almost $41 million in revenue. It’s closest competition in 2009 so far this year comes from 24 season seven, which has also been available for six weeks but has sold less than 600,000 units and grossed just over $19 million. On a revenue basis, True Blood is the only DVD for the year in the top 20, top 30 or top 40 of DVD sales (it is currently 16th through the week ending June 28). 24 season seven is 46th by revenue.

To compare to some of its cable brethren, in four weeks of release Weeds season four (admittedly, not its best effort) had sold 432,000 DVDs and grossed almost $11 million.

Some will say it’s not fair to compare this year’s numbers because most of the 2008-2009 TV seasons have not yet been made available on DVD. That’s true, but it doesn’t matter. We can compare to the full calendar year of 2008 DVD sales when with about 17 weeks of sales (released on 9/2/08) The Office season four was the number one TV show DVD for the year selling 1.06 million units and grossing over $32 million. Because of the way we see data it’s not easy (or even usually possible) to see combined sales across multiple calendar years, but a show like Lost’s season four which went on sale with only a few weeks left in 2008 tracked closely with, but not quite as well as True Blood. After five weeks in release, Lost season four had sold over 976,000 units and grossed over $36 million. After five weeks, True Blood had sold almost 1.1 million DVDs and grossed almost $38 million in revenue.

Read on

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the show and immediately bought two copies, one for myself and one for my daughter. She watched half one day and half a second day. There were 8 others watching them with her and they are all hooked. I've promised them the next season once its out on DVD. I'm not gay, married 30+ years and none of them are either.

Lady Jane said...

This is what I commented on the actual article.

callonmebill yes you did forget one VERY BEAUTIFUL cast member her name is Pam/Kristin Bauer. I think she is one of the very best too. She is funny witty and don’t give a darn about humans. Her charm is great.

I think the show is interesting, funny, sexy, hot, and mysterious (what about Vampires) isn’t.

I have to say I wasn’t “hooked” on Vampires before I watched this show, but now its pretty much a done deal. I loved Sarah Michelle Geller as Buffy but only watched the show for her, and that was intermittently at best. She was a very pretty young woman. I liked some of the shows I watched but it was for teens really.

I loved the previews from when they first started doing the trailers; for True Blood, so I watched and I fell in love with the show for all the above reasons. I then between seasons went out and TORE THROUGH all the books. And I am watching Season 2 the day it airs on the first showing if I can. As I know this helps the “numbers game.” I hope we get a season 3.

I am not a prude but I’m not some sexual being either, I have a healthy love life, I am a middle age woman and I can say that I think this show is watched by folks from all forms of life, its not ONE group that watches it more then others.

I do think if there was not Video on Demand a lot more people would watch it on HBO (like you used to have to do with The Sopranos and Sex and the City), but it’s good that technology is there for people who have to work and can enjoy the show later. Or who are on Vacation. Or who have family things that come first. But the “numbers game,” needs to catch up with its close neighbor TECHNOLOGY. Or we as viewers will loose once again on a Good HBO program. Please consider all sources before canceling and/or pigeonholing a prescribed audience.

" Dallas " said...

Thanks for re posting that Lady Jane

Lady Jane said...

You are very welcome Dallas I got quite wordy on two post of yours yesterday LOL, I guess I got on my soapbox a bit on this post and the one about SM/AP and the "ex"

" Dallas " said...

I always read every word and enjoy all of everyone's comments ...

Lady Jane said...

This main post to this on their web site is up to 70 comments. Its a good discussion over there.

Unknown said...

I really don't think its just the Gay community that is driving the sells up...

God I love this blog so far...

But I think there are a lot of different ppl buying it.