Friday, August 21, 2009

'TRUE BLOOD's' RUTINA WESLEY GETS FREAKED OUT BY ORGIES

From IF magazine ..

RUE BLOOD has lots of sex, lots of blood and lots of characters, but Rutina Wesley’s Tara Thornton is in no danger of getting lost in the crowd. One of the few Bon Temps residents with no supernatural aspects, Tara (best friend of telepathic heroine Sookie Stackhouse, portrayed by Anna Paquin) is nevertheless one of the most complex characters on the show, desperate for affection yet quick to push people away, open to new experiences yet wisely wary, she’s a captivating conundrum, and Wesley plays the hell out of her.

The actress makes time to talk to us during an after-party for the Television Critics Association Awards, where TRUE BLOOD has just won for Outstanding New Program.

iF MAGAZINE: Has Tara changed from what you expected her to be when you got the part?

RUTINA WESLEY: Just for the better. I always thought she was a hard flower, this hard case on the outside with this delicate inside, but they’ve just made her so much more complex, they’ve given her so many layers, I’ve gotten to play so many different emotions. I mean, that’s an actor’s dream. This role is like a Hamlet for me. I think it’s been some of my best work that I’ve done so far, and it’s really nice that I’ve been able to be part of this ensemble, this family. Adina Porter [who plays Tara’s mother] – amazing. Her and Michelle Forbes are two of the most grounded actresses that I’ve ever worked with. They always have my back. Adina – I can’t say anything more to you than ‘phenomenal.’ I love her, I love working with her – she brings out the best in me, I always have to be on top of my game with the both of them. So she’s amazing.

iF: Is it hard to modulate just how open or shut down Tara is at any given moment?

WESLEY: Yeah, it’s a very delicate balance, because I don’t want her to ever be too angry. I want to make sure that she stays soft and real and honest in every situation, so I always play with varying emotions. I just try to keep her real, and the writers give me dialogue that helps me do that.

5 comments:

Rita said...

I can't see someone else acting this
part,Rutina is Tara.

Anonymous said...

So I guess the show's creators aren't ever planning on giving Tara her 'book' powers then.

Rita said...

You know i don't remember Tara having
any special powers in the books just
being Tara is enough.

" Dallas " said...

sign in or sign your posts pleasw

what powers anony ?

Rita said...

Thanks Dallas!I was wandering if i
had missed something.