Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Guest DJ Set by “True Blood’s” Alexander Skarsgard

Thanks to Rachel from the station for sharing this with us, and this also gives us a good reason to support Public Radio. This is the kind of great things they do ! Please join your local station or you can even become a member of KCRW and listen online.

Also remember, Sookie is a big fan of public radio , she listen to Car Talk on Red River Public Radio ( that also happens to really be Charlaine's station too )
More here: http://www.lovingtruebloodindallas.com/2009/03/sookie-stackhouse-loves-car-talk-and.html

Revealing Guest DJ Set by “True Blood’s” Alexander Skarsgard Includes Song Dedications to Past Loves & Family Alexander Skarsgard, who plays the powerful vampire Eric on HBO’s hit series “True Blood,” dedicated the five songs in his Guest DJ Project set on Santa Monica-based public radio station KCRW to people that play or have played an important part in his life, including; a love from his past, his parents, a childhood friend, and his adopted home of Los Angeles.

Skarsgard tells a heart tugging story about singing the Rolling Stones’ “Mother’s Little Helper” with his father, actor Stellan Skarsgard, at their country house in Sweden and admits his love for his mom’s favorite song – Van Morrison’s “Brown Eyed Girl” – even though he pretended not to like it as a kid.

The set is available streaming, for download and as a podcast. You can hear all of his picks (and read the transcript) on KCRW.com here:
http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs
/gd/gd090909alex_skarsgard

The actor exposes his teenage punk past, dedicating a track by famed Swedish band Ebba Grön to an ailing childhood friend. “This was in the early 90's and it was like 15 years after it was cool to be a punk rocker. Every day after school I would bring my boombox out to this park and I would sit there with my friends singing and watch the sunset and listen to loud, angry, fast music.”The most revealing moment of his Guest DJ set was the dedication of the Buzzcock’s “Ever Fallen in Love” to a past girlfriend and their stormy relationship:

“I had this girlfriend awhile ago, many years ago, and it was a very passionate relationship. I was very much in love with this girl, but after a few months we both realized we weren't good for each other. But it was one of those relationships that we didn't make each other happy, but every time we broke up, we ended up back together and that went on for almost 3 years.
I don't know if you've experienced that, but it just killed me. It was really, really tough. I just tried to move on and so did she but we just couldn't. I want to dedicate this song to her and I hope she found happiness somewhere out there. “ “Every time after a fight I would just put on my big headphones and I would crank up the volume and go ‘Pete Shelley freakin’ gets it!’

In a way, she will always be a part of me, but I don't have to listen to Buzzcocks and cry every day and night anymore. I can actually listen to it now and enjoy it because it's a great song.”
Skarsgard also didn’t skip a beat in responding a question about vampire Eric’s musical taste.
The answer: Swedish death metal.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/gd/gd090909alex_skarsgard

Listen and read all here :http://www.kcrw.com/guestdjproject

KCRW’s Guest DJ Project is a weekly program delving into the musical passions of cultural trendsetters and icons.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This just made me love him even more. Love his taste in music and I love that he's so frank. The lack of bullshit is so refreshing!

Anonymous said...

He reminds me SOOO much of my husband. It's scary! (And awesome!)

Anyway, we'd both drink cheap beer and bitch about the decay of civilization with ASkars anytime. (I hate to admit it, but that's our general MO on any given Friday. LOL.)

And if I may add, it's doubly awesome that he answered "Swedish death metal"... the hubs and I have speculated the EXACT same thing!

Anonymous said...

Sookie and I have a lot in common I have a radio in every part of the house. ;)

Awww he's so sweet. This is why I love and adore Alex so much. *sighs*

Rita said...

This was the best he is down to earth
just like Kristin Bower that is why they get a long so well ,and you can tell he was brought up the right way.
Sure he was a teenager and did what
teens do but he is a very nice young
man now,and i liked the songs and how he is not afraid to talk about
his family and friends.

caninecologne said...

hi there! loved alex's twang in the interview - perhaps still in character for "straw dogs"? loved his musical choices too...

ByteMeBill said...

Listening to Alex dedicate these songs makes me love him even more! He is so down to earth, knowing exactly where he came from and how he got from there to where he is now. I am seriously spoiled for any other guy right now :)