Friday, September 11, 2009

Alan Ball of True Blood: The TV Squad Interview - full transcript

Here's the full transcript of the interview I conducted with True Blood creator Alan Ball (comments can be left under the edited version):

I asked my TV Squad readers what they wanted me to ask you, and one of their main questions involves the books. Some feel the show doesn't follow the books closely enough. Your thoughts on that?

I think a book and a television show are two different mediums. If I were to follow the books, it would be all about Sookie, because Sookie narrates the story, and the other characters would rarely even show up. Jason would come into the bar and hug her in an attempt to make people think he loves his sister so he can pick somebody up. Tara wouldn't even have existed until this season, and she'd be white. Lafayette would be dead.

So all I can say to those people is, it's based on the books, but it's not a literal adaptation of the books. I'm doing what I think is the best way to turn that story into a television show. Also, if I just stuck to the books, there would be no surprises. You could go pick up the books anywhere and know exactly what was coming. So personally, I don't see any benefit of making a carbon copy of the books for TV.

read on

5 comments:

Rita said...

Wonderful interview i think Alan Ball
is every thing everyone says about
and i also believe he really knows
what he is doing with the show so
go Alan.

Flavia1923 said...

Franklin Mott??? Does that mean Tara is going to start datting a vampire?
It's do far away, but I can't wait for season 3!

Lady Jane said...

cool beans great article.

Layne said...

GREAT interview. Thanks Dallas for sharing it with your readers who are too lazy to search the internet themselves. I think your posting is more informative than the True Blood site.

Oh Boy, Club Dead! How are they going to show a Warewolf and still be in budget and be scary? Fur glued to actors's faces will only be laughed at. What a challenge.

I hope Alan Ball keeps the sexy Tara and Sookie dance. Let's not forget Eric and Sookie's first "real" bed scene.

The writers are so excited about the show that they want to write over their vacation. Wow, that is a very good sign for a series. I'm such a fan that I wish I could read over their shoulders as they type.

Hopefully Pam will be given a story line. She is a great character. Maybe she could be given lots of quick stories like Lafayette got on the first season, aides burger, senator etc. Running a bar has got to have its humorous moments.

I feel sorry for any actress playing D. Pelt. I already hate her and her character doesn't even exist yet.

" Dallas " said...

Thanks Layne

I read every word of every article about TB/ Sookie/charlaine and all the actors and principals and pick the very best for the blog or ones that I think contain info you need to know.

I let you decide and read them .. You don't need me regurgitating someone else s article for you like you are a baby bird and if you aren't interested in that particular article just skip right by it ..

It does take lots and lots of searching, reading and poking around to find all the good stuff and aside from the fact that some website has special corporate arrangements and are given exclusive information first and only -I think I am almost always first.

I just get it to you - with little editorial comments, you don't want to hear me, you want to hear Charlaine or Alan or whoever.

I also am the only person who posts here, I don't have a bunch of minions so the LTBiD blog also stays true to my goal of keeping it intimate and bloggy ( not a slick corporate fan site) , with a homey feel and real regional flavor ( I really can be in Bon Temps in 2 hrs ;))I try to keep to the quirkiness of the Sookie books with the recipes etc and I do consider this a bookie blog that covers and enjoys True Blood.

As Charlaine said when asked about the TB difference to the books " I think it provides two forms of entertainment instead of one; I'm all for it, I love the differences. I like to be surprised "