Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Charlaine Harris on True Blood

charlaine_sm.jpgThe road from novels to movies isn’t always smooth but some authors are pleased with the transistion their books have made to the screen.

Charlaine Harris’ Sookie Stackhouse novels about a vampires and a waitress who can read minds have been made into the HBO series True Blood.

The series stars Oscar-winner Anna Paquin; executive producer is Alan Ball (Six Feet Under, American Beauty).

Paquin just won the Golden Globe for best actress in a TV drama series. True Blood also was nominated for a Golden Globe.

Alan and I have a deal,” said Harris during Bouchercon. “He doesn’t help me write my books and I don’t help him make the series.”

And she’s more than pleased with the arrangement.

From the beginning, “I was convinced that Alan understood the books and where I was coming from.” The series is “funny, violent and bloody,” just like the books, she said.

Harris has visited the set and one of her first Hollywood experiences was meeting a star of the series.

“The first actor I met was the dog that plays Sam.”

And the second actor?

The cat.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/features/arts/offthepage/blog/2009/01/charlaine_harris_on_true_blood.html

0 comments: