Friday, January 23, 2009

Out for True Blood?

We didn't write this post it was written by JD and UKN at Libranigans. What we are guilty of is also being very disappointed at many of the questions ( make that the sometimes self serving complaints or comments ) that took up so much of Charlaine's precious time ...

If you think they shouldn't have this opinion or express it you can let them know here :http://libranigans.livejournal.com/ ( I stand by reposting it)

Also watch the video of the event and KNOW that was all the time she had for questions and you judge for yourself ...
Thank you Libranigans for in a very funny way expressing our disappointment too.. Video of these questions being asked is HERE- you don't have to have been there to judge -see for yourself, then think what questions you would have liked to hear Charlaine asked....just sayin'

~~~~
JD, myself, and several other coworkers attended a book signing and talk event earlier this month given by Charlaine Harris. I was extremely impressed with her polite and witty smackdowns of douchebag questions. Some examples:

Douchebag 1: I'm from Port Neches. In your book you mention Beaumont. How did you know about Beaumont?

Ms. Harris: I own an atlas.

Douchebag 2: I have a doctoral degree in Greek mythology. Why did you select Maenads over Bacchae? What was your specific reason for that choice?

Ms. Harris: Oh, well have you read _____? (Douchette 2 blinks quietly) Ms. Harris then goes into the various aspects of the Maenads presented in said book as to why she chose them for her book. Douche remained silent.

Virtualdouchebag: Hi! I'm Kat from the boards! (Kat proceeds to launch into a totally irrelevant and obscure topic that silences the entire room)

Ms. Harris: Ah, so YOU'RE Kat. (a strong undertone of Kat is a virtual stalker pest who keeps bothering her)

La Douchette de Triste: In book X, she was a were-lynx. In the very next book, she was a were-fox. How do explain the difference--was it a mistake, or bad editing? Or did YOU make a mistake?

Ms. Harris: Well, yeah...you caught me. It was a complete error on my part. You're the first person to ever notice...aside from the previous 3,000 people who mentioned it.


In addition to the hilarity of lovely retorts, we had front row seats to this view for about 20 minutes:



JD pointed out the scenery, and I had to hold my nose to try and keep all the laughing inside. A snort did escape, and I tried to play it off as a sniffle.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a full moon risin'!

Anonymous said...

Is Libranigans 14?

Shannon said...

That was truly hilarious! I know we all love the books, but some people get just a bit too excited don't they? The butt crack was priceless.

Kikinei said...

Seriously!!!!lOL! Nothing like being somewhere listening to someone you truly admire, listening to a gang of over inflated douche bags and being forced to take in the sight of the dreaded anomaly "The Coin Slot"....lol, Charlaine had more patience then I...I would have had a pull switch installed next to my chair linked to a trap door. "Pull" next....

Unknown said...

I swear on a stack of bibles that I was NOT sitting in front of JD...

Keyse said...

This is hilar!

C said...

OMGWTF? Seriously? how is it that with what looks like a sweater and lon pants on, you cannot feel a breeze wafting past the two inches of coinslot you have workin? *shakes head slowly back and forth*
I would have loved to hear Ms. Harris' douche repellant relies. I live for that shit.

Anonymous said...

Well girls, I believe it was very rude to make any kind of comments that were less than complimentary in the setting of a forum. Women and others came to see Charlaine just as you did and I don't believe that you would appreciate it if other's made fun of you.

" Dallas " said...

Well, anonymous we didn't write this post it was written by JD and UKN at Libranigans. What we are guilty of is also being very disappointed at many of the questions ( make that the sometimes self serving complaints or comments ) that took up so much of Charlaine's precious time ...

If you think they shouldn't have this opinion or express it you can let them know here :http://libranigans.livejournal.com/

Also watch the video and KNOW that was all the time she had for questions and you judge for yourself ...

Anonymous said...

I am just saying that everyone there had a right to ask whatever they wanted to ask. The forum was for everyone, I have listened to the video, and will keep any statements to myself that I believe is hurtful to the people that asked the questions. I was directing my comments to the people that gave them not to anyone else.

" Dallas " said...

Thanks Anony!

Anonymous said...

"Well girls, I believe it was very rude to make any kind of comments that were less than complimentary in the setting of a forum." -- Anonymous


As you can see/hear from the recording, no one--except for the douchebag questioners--made any less-than-complimentary comments in the setting of the library forum proper. Everyone was polite enough to suffer their douchebaggery in awkward, uncomfortable silence.


...I don't believe that you would appreciate it if other's [sic] made fun of you. -- Anonymous

I'm sure the people posting here would have the good sense to avoid incurring ridicule. Abusing the time and goodwill of both the guest and the audience invites well-deserved abuse.


"I am just saying that everyone there had a right to ask whatever they wanted to ask." -- Anonymous

No, no they didn't. That is completely and totally wrong-headed.

There are rules and niceties involved in celebrity Q&A events that go above and beyond common politeness.

Asking ridiculous questions--especially ones that try to make the guest look bad (like the were-lynx one, and the "doctorate in mythology" one)--are grossly, offensively tacky.


"The forum was for everyone...and will keep any statements to myself that I believe is hurtful to the people that asked the questions." -- Anonymous

So your method of keeping statements to yourself involves calling out people for their alleged rudeness...anonymously, no less.

Other than a smug sense of satisfaction, what else do you get out of championing the oh-so-delicate sensibilities of complete strangers who were in turn rude themselves?

You do know how blogs work, right? Showing up anonymously in someone's yard just to wag fingers is plenty unseemly.