Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ask Dallas : What is your personal preference?

Someone asked a great question on the wiki recently "Does anyone have a theory on why bill likes to drink from Sookie’s neck, whereas Eric would do it in more ... discrete places, like her thigh/breast?"

The one thing I had to say was that at 1000 years old Eric needs very little blood and Bill at only 170 years old still needs much more blood.

I don’t know what effects the location of bite. I guess it might just be a personal preference. The groin is discussed by Bill and used by Eric in the book and TV show.
Bill bites Sookie in both a very public place and in an easily concealed place, unless you have to adjust your ponytail in front of a police officer.

*Note on the show Eric bites Dawn in the collarbone area and Liam bit Maudette in the groin. Bill bites Sookie on the neck and the under arm.

I have a whole series of posts called “If you don’t like it, you can just bite me” posts on the blog...

http://lovingtruebloodindallas.blogspot.com/search/label/Bite%20me

What else do we know about bite location?

Episode one :

Bill: Oh, but you have other very juicy arteries. There’s one in the groin that’s a particular favorite of mine.
Sookie: Hey, you just shut your nasty mouth, mister. You might be a vampire, but when you talk to me, you will talk to me like the lady that I am.

He says this in Book One:

"But there's a juicy artery in your groin," he said after a pause to regroup, his voice as slithery as a snake on a slide.

Episode Four:

Bill says to the cop that stops them leaving Fangtasia:

Bill: Vampires sometimes like to feed from the femoral artery. The blood flows more freely down there so one doesn't have to suck as hard...
(Bill turns to face the state trooper, who is still shining his flashlight into Bill's car. The flashlight illuminates the lower half of Bill's face. His fangs are still exposed as he looks directly at the state trooper.)
Bill: ...or so I've been told. (The state trooper is motionless and silent.)

This is all that was said in this scene in Book One:

"We will." I nodded eagerly, and Bill managed a stiff inclination of his head.
"We're raiding a bar a few blocks back," the patrolman said casually. I could see only a little of his face, but he seemed burly and middle-aged. "You two coming from there, by any chance?"
"No," I said.
"Vampire bar," the cop remarked.
"Nope. Not us."
"Let me just shine this light on your neck, miss, if you don't mind."
"Not at all."
And by golly, he shone that old flashlight on my neck and then on Bill's.
"Okay, just checking. You two move on now."
"Yes, we will."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure someone already mentioned this on the wiki, but I couldn't find the thread. The books mention a lot that Bill likes to "brand" Sookie as his. I think bite marks on the neck do that job. He can act possessive. Even in the graveyard scene, he wanted to go for her neck, but she stopped him.

Eric doesn't seem to feel the same need to mark her. JMO.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Maria.

Based on the books - I also think that Eric is perfectly willing to do "what seems best" (or most fun or most expedient or most self-serving) in a situation, whereas Bill always came across to me as more stuck in his ways. Bill does do it in other spots but it seems like its out of his comfort zone. For Eric, everything seems to be his comfort zone, LOL.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the possessive connotation the neck bite mark can have, but I also think that Bill bites Sookie on the neck because his status in vampire politics is so unsure.
If Sookie's bite mark is on her neck, then there is no denying that she belongs to Bill. If it is in a hidden place, then there is still room left for questioning her status

Anonymous said...

Eric likes to be watched during sex which can't happen while biting the neck,and since feeding isn't as big a priority for him as Bill (due to age)he can separate the two. Bill states in the book that biting heightens his climax,its not as good without.So he likes to combine the two. Physically there are only so many places he could reach while doing this,I believe he bites her shoulder in the books too.

C said...

I like Bill and all-
I think perhaps it really has to do with marking Sookie as "his", like teenagers and hickies. I am attributing this to his age. Compared to Eric he is a teenager. Now as an adult woman i know that hickies are tacky, but, i do enjoy the ones that are where you cannot see. When i was a teenager, i liked having them, it said "I have a boyfriend" and of course gave my boyfriend the bragging rights. Whatevs, i am babbling. JMO, and nothing new at that.