Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lettin' down the ponytail for just a minute with @SookieBonTemps !

Our wonderful Twitter friend @SookieBonTemps writes more that just a tweet!

There are a couple of things I never thought I'd do:

1) Role-play. I've never had any interest in role-playing games. Hell, I had to ask someone what "RP" meant when I first got on Twitter.

2) Write fan-fic.

I've been Tweeting since November 30. For the first month or so on Twitter, I tweeted alone. There was no @EricNorthman, no @VampireBill, no @MerlottesBar. Eventually @DeantheCollie showed up.

I tweeted about my days poking fun at True Blood characters that did not exist in the Twitterverse. And some people felt like listening. So I spent that first month getting to know my followers. I met folks who were die-hard True Blood fans or had read all of Charlaine Harris' wonderful Southern Vampire Mysteries. We talked about everything from Christmas gifts to deadbeat boyfriends. On New Year's Eve, I even managed to tweet a UK follower instructions on how to stop severe bleeding (he'd cut his hand pretty deeply on a shard of glass). My followers repaid me in kind by RT-ing something silly I said or asking their friends to follow me (@themia, @juliaroy, @bsimi, @karma_musings you know what you've done).

And then the Viking came to Bon Temps. Followed by Sam, the first Bill, then the second Bill, etc.

My tweets changed. No more laundry lists of vampire jokes. No more "Top 5 Reasons why I can't date a shifter." No more gratuitous tweeting. I had two sets of relationships to build: 1) with my followers who were with me and 2) with these characters from my life who'd reappeared here on Twitter.

As our daily banter grew to include not just the world of True Blood, but the world of Twitter, something strange started to happen: all of the little character plays that were ordinarily relegated to the forums and fan-fic started to playout here in the mainstream. In 140-character tweets.

It finally occurred to me after @EricNorthman and I did Loving True Blood in Dallas' show on BlogTalkRadio that we'd gotten ourselves into something hotter than the morning after a FotS sleepover. Soon after the show the fangrrls who'd been living on the Wiki, the forums, etc. came pouring in to join the fun on Twitter. On the days when things get busy and I happen to go missing from the bar, there is a steady stream of willing women ready to be the next Merlotte's waitress. Never mind that Merlotte's waitresses have shorter life spans than Spinal Tap drummers.

So what's next? I guess I'll keep RP-ing, fan-fic-ing whatever the hell I'm doing. I guess that means I get to keep rolling around in the dust with the Viking. Keep you posted.

Check it out here and please post a comment for Sook !

http://sookiebontemps.posterous.com/lettin-down-the-ponytail-for-j

0 comments: