Friday, February 13, 2009

The magister character in the books ...

Sookie Stackhouse book readers may still be scratching their heads at the scope and power of 'the magister' as we see him in Episode 10 of True Blood Season one.

This is where Bill is punished for killing Long Shadow by having to turn the young kidnapped woman, Jessica into a vampire.

But ...hey, we are even still scratching our heads at the change to the overall story arc in having Bill instead of Eric kill Long Shadow in Sookie defense.

But there is some vampire jurisdiction mentioned by Charlene in the books in the matter of this kind of killing and debts owed and punishments in the matter of one vampire killing another vampire.

In book 6, we hear Eric describe the decision of "the arbitrator" in the matter..
It's not the same as the magister but there is some basis in the books for this character.

Long Shadow had been the first bartender of Fangtasia. He'd been embezzling from Eric, who had coerced me into interrogating the barmaids and other human employees until I discovered the culprit. About two seconds before Long Shadow would have ripped out my throat, Eric had executed the bartender with the traditional wooden stake. Killing another vampire is a very serious thing, I gathered, and Eric had had to pay a stiff fine-to whom, I hadn't known, though now I was sure the money had gone to Hot Rain. If Eric had killed Long Shadow without any justification, other penalties would have come into play. I was content to let those remain a mystery.

"What did Hot Rain want?" I said.

"To let me know that though I had paid him the price set by the arbitrator, he didn't consider himself satisfied."

"Did he want more money?"
"I don't think so. He seemed to think financial recompense was not all he required." Eric shrugged.


0 comments: