Saturday, March 21, 2009

Moonlight now on DVD

From Film Guide
I don’t have a good relationship with the vampire genre, out of all the movies I’ve seen, there are only two that I liked; 30 Days of Night and Let The Right One In. But because vampires seem to be getting the upper hand in the popularity stakes, I figured I should check out Moonlight, after all it does have an interesting plot outline:

L.A. private eye Mick St. John has a secret, he’s a vampire, dwelling in a covert netherworld complicated by friendship with an undead finance honcho, memories of the alluring ex-wife (who turned him into a vampire), and a relationship with a human he feels drawn to protect – and maybe to love. But no matter how tempting, Mick knows a vampire-human romance is eternally dangerous.

Now that I think about it, I must have focused on the private eye part and not the love/romance part, because re-reading it with the advantage of now having seen the series, warning bells are going off in my head: Steer clear, this isn’t something you’re going to get.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m not saying that Moonlight is a waste of time; it’s just not what I had hoped for. I was after something a little darker with some more sinister undertones. Instead, it’s pretty much your run of the mill detective series, with a vampire twist mixed in with the oh-so-trendy online reporter/love interest angle. It’s more soap than serious, and in this respect will probably appeal to all those 30 something housewives who fell in love with Edward, Twilight’s high school vampire. Of course, Mick is a little more age appropriate for 30 something housewives as well.

So if you’re after a well produced, by the numbers romantic vampire detective series, then Moonlight is for you.

If, like me, you’re of the male persuasion, you might want to approach this with caution.

You can buy here $25 Amazon

Reviewed by: Jonathan Read
Rating:
M - Suitable for mature audiences 16 years and over.
Released on: March 4th, 2009
Year of Original Release: 2007
Stars: Alex O’Loughlin, Sophia Myles, Jason Dohring, Shannyn Sossamon, Jacob Vargas, Brian White, Kevin Weisman, Tami Roman, Jordan Belfi, David Blue, Eric Winter, Holly Valance, Victoria Pratt, Claudia Black, Jonathan LaPaglia
Media Format: DVD
Languages: English
Brand: Moonlight
Director: Various
Studio: Warner Bros

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The middle episodes were great but other than that is was an ok show it was really boring in the beginning and at the end and it was pretty stupid that Mick was getting beat up all the time unlike Angel !

" Dallas " said...

Thanks Joannah

I appreciate your comment
I love getting emails

truebloodindallas@gmail.com