Friday, July 17, 2009

This bites! Emmy snub stakes HBO's True Blood in heart


I am a little surprised by how mad everyone is by " the emmy snub " from the Edmonton Sun

Emmy people, you suck.

Or rather, you don't like shows with creatures that suck. And that sucks.

It's rare these days that a TV show can take you to a different place, immerse you in a different world, show you something new.

And True Blood does all those things.

But the vampire drama was snubbed in all the major categories yesterday when the nominations for the 61st annual Emmy Awards were announced.

It's enough to prompt Canadian-born, New Zealand-raised, Academy Award-winning actress Anna Paquin to say, "Bite me."

Well, she probably is too polite to say such a thing, so we'll say it for her.

For the uninitiated, True Blood is based on a series of novels by Charlaine Harris and has a fascinating premise.

Set in the American deep south in current times, vampires recently have come out of the closet and openly are existing alongside human beings in a tense arrangement that creates extremists on both sides.

It's unique stuff, huh?

True Blood originates on HBO in the United States and airs north of the border on HBO Canada. The second season currently is under way, but it was the first season that was eligible for the Emmy categories that came out yesterday.

True Blood got three piddly nominations. One for outstanding art direction in a single-camera series (woo-hoo!). One for outstanding main-title design (sound the trumpets). And one for outstanding casting in a drama series (celebrate good times, come on!).

Actually, that last one is a nice nod. But the ironic thing is, it's a category in which we might have given True Blood a pass.

While nobody in the cast of True Blood is weak, per se, there are a couple of performances for which we don't have particular affinity.

read on

3 comments:

Leanne said...

I have to admit I'm also a little surprised that everyone is so angry. I'm not angry - just resigned. A lot of really good shows consistently get snubbed by the Emmy's. I lump the Emmy's in with the Academy Awards for most unreliable barometer of what people want to watch. Also, while I'm glad that Generation Kill was nominated, the lack of nominations for any of the cast noticeably detracts from that "honor".

Unknown said...

I'll have to say the main title design is what got me to watch the show. The accents were a little hard to accept when I first saw True Blood last season. But then I saw that masterful mini flick that happens at the beginning of each show and I was hooked.

Since I live in Shreveport and am passionate about all things Shreveport, I really dug how our Florentine Mansion and Lucky Liquor Bar and Caddo Lake are featured in that little montage. Next time you're in Shreveport, give me shout and I'll take you to the Lucky Liquor for a beer.

" Dallas " said...

I have been to Lucky Liquors 5 times in the last year and last month most of our group did go in for a drink ...

I agree and all things ( I'm a little obsessed ;-) ) about the opening can be seen here http://www.lovingtruebloodindallas.com/search/label/Opening%20Credits%20%2F%20Bad%20Things