Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Another Minor True Blood Quibble, or: Eric Can Fly !?!

I think this boils down to True Blood watchers not getting things in the TV show that are thrown into the series for Sookie Stackhouse book fans ....

I'm going to go back and listen to the radio show from Sunday night because I think Sookie and I had a really good talk with Mark Blankenship about this issue. Mark said that as the Huffington Post Pop Culture critic and being assigned to cover True Blood, he made the decision to NOT read the books. This was not because he didn't want to but as a professional reviewer he wanted to only be responding to what HBO viewers see on True Blood from week to week.

My brilliant response ( ;-) )was that while I understood that and respected that but because he hasn't read the books he does not understand what I called Alan Ball and the writers " throwing bookies a bone" This is exactly what happened in this episode not only with the Eric flying but more importantly with the Sophie- Anne visit.

Now don't say, "Awww Dallas in LDID Eric knows lots about the maenad and we don't meet Sophie Anne for 3 more books and one short story"

I know, what I said to Mark was that none of Sophie- Anne's pretty outfits and confusing and poorly delivered information about the maenad was the point of the SA visit. The point was to introduce the did 'Bill betrayal' storyline which we won't know about in the books until that hospital emergency room in New Orleans many books from now. This is where we learn that secretly Bill was sent to Bon Temps to, as Bill says "She ordered me to return to my human home, to put myself in your way, to seduce you if I had to …she wanted your gift harnessed for her own use"
So, now in the True Blood version we have :

  • The Queen knows Bill is in Bon Temps but is a little surprised when he tells her, he is feeding only from Sookie.
  • Hadley knew Bill by name ( so they have met before)
  • Hadley knows Bill is living in Bon Temps because she asks about Sookie and Gran
Now, we have to see what the connection Eric has to the Queen, it does not seem to be following the books.

Then we have the out of the blue the "Eric flying " scene, and what seems like weird, disconnected information to the True Blood watcher ( who has no book knowledge) are really the "bookie bones " or those things that are being thrown in for the bookies. ( like Mark and the New Yorker )

And of course, in the last episode we saw the Sookie ( possible fae power ) to Mary Anns face ..

What do you think ?

From New Yorker Magazine

A few weeks ago, a few of Vulture's biggest True Blood fans put together a list of our top five gripes about the show. Well, as we were watching last night's episode, we realized there was one more minor complaint that we neglected to air a few weeks ago. Namely, Alan Ball keeps changing the laws of vampire physics on the show! Okay, maybe "physics" isn't exactly the right terminology, but you get our meaning. Take last night, for example, when Eric just up and decided that he could fly (!!!) through the air with the greatest of ease! Of course, during the show's nearly two full seasons, we've seen many a vamp do one of those fast-forward speed walks off into the distance, but unless we're totally mistaken, we haven't seen one straight-up bound into the atmosphere like Superman or Peter Petrelli on Heroes. Since when did they get those powers, anyway? Do all vamps have that ability, or is it some sort of special ability Godric passed down to Eric? Since we've seen vampires fly without having to morph into bats in other movies (The Lost Boys comes to mind), it wasn't as big a deal as, say, the discovery of Jessica's unfortunate case of regenerative hymen syndrome, but STILL. All we're asking for is a little consistency, please!

22 comments:

Sylvia said...

Even if I hadn't read the books I would have figured Eric could fly because of the comment he made to Lafayette(after giving him his blood and before taking off for Dallas.)
He said something like "I gotta fly." And then he ended up in Dallas all fast-like.
I just thought that was a natural assumption. Even my husband, who had not read LDiD at this point turned to me and said "Do you think Eric can fly?"

There have been some serious bones tossed to bookies this season and I am forever grateful for them. However, I don't think that scene with the Queen spelled out the Bill betrayl clearly enough for my liking but oh well.

beadrbop said...

Eric did make a comment to Lafayette post healing session as Heather mentions in the above comment. "I gotta fly"..Yes the up up and away flying scene was another bone given to book fans. YAY!

Even for non book fans the ability of vampires to have special gifts is not a new subject. While the vampires of True Blood don't shift into bats and fly away , now fans can see that at least a certain Viking Vampire can fly.

Having the character of the Queen introduced this early into the "action" will be very interesting. I can't wait to see what else Alan Ball has in store for fans of True Blood. Oh and yes..please more "bones" and of course ..More Eric please!!

Adriana said...

OK - so I don't think that they meant for viewers to assume that Bill and Hadley had met before... she was there in the pool when Bill stated that he only fed from Sookie - So of course she would know, and plus, Sophie had referred to him as Bill.

But I really hope that Alan Ball brings to play the "betrayal" :D

Anonymous said...

Actually I think that AB should no longer claim that TB is based on the Sookie Stackhouse books. I know that AB has the rights to the books but these characters' personalities/fiber are totally different than what Harris created. AB has created his own Bill, Eric, Godric,..etc. IMO they hardly have anything in common with the characters of the books. AB has just taken their names and used Harris' name.

D said...

I didn't read the books and i knew some vamps could fly. In the episode where Bill and Sookie had the first kiss, Sookie asked if Bill could fly. He said he couldn't but others could. And in the Eric's flashback, Godric shows up flying, even it was a shallow flight.

D said...

Adriana,

ok, Hadley would know who Bill was because of all you said, ok. But why Bill was not the slightest bit surprised to learn that Hadley already knew his girlfriend?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nancy said...

I love that AB is introducing SA early. Charlaine has stated many times that she's not a good "planner" and thus her new plot developments seem to come from left field from book to book. AB is evening some of that out by introducing characters early and hinting at things to come. For example, if you listen to his audio commentary on the first episode of season 1 on DVD, he mentions when Sookie first meets Bill in Merlotte's that Bill has just a shadow of regret cross his face and hints that if you've read the books you'll know why--and he states that the series will be faithful to that (meaning Bill's betrayal). In the same commentary, he also says the series will be faithful to her fae heritage (although not in those exact words).

Anonymous said...

If AB is throwing bookie's bones he's not throwing the right ones IMHO. Keep the characters faithful to who they are. I don't necessarily mean their stories, but their characters. They are, with the exception of Sam, unrecognizable and I too think AB should have just created a supernatural show without taking from the books, names or storylines.

Rita said...

I always hoped Eric would fly but did
not know if AB would do it,as Bill
did float in the books but he told
Sookie he could not.The SA thing was
good cause in the books we do know
Bill went to ON so he has told SA
a lot of things but also has kelp
some things from her to.I am glad to have read the books,i'am not as in the
dark as much as my husband and son,i
like that.I for one will watch the
show and hope and wish that AB has
a heart to make Eric closer to book
Eric,Bill's betrayal i think will be a little later down the road
so to speak.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've read all the books and I don;t have the book right in front of me so excuse the wording but I seem to remember at the end of book 1 when sookie was the hospital recovering from her attack by Renee, Bill visited her and Eric sent flowers but Eric also was seen, by Sookie, outside her window flying by - sort of to check on her. I don't know why everyone is surprised Eric can fly. I am correct or am I losing it? Cheryl

" Dallas " said...

You guys are smart smart

Most of you are responding to the NYorker piece not to the bookie bones.

Yes the NY writer wasn't paying attention in Ep 2 S1 when Bill in response to Sookie's question about levitating and turning into a bat says " there are those that can"

Yes in the book we see Eric fly outside Sookie's hospital window last scene of book 1 and yes we had hints in this season of TB. I do wonder why they cut the hovering for the kids scene they shot of Eric.

Really Adriana - you got the feeling that was the first time Hadley ever met Bill ?

Yes, Nancy and what we are seeing in TB is everything that the books that might have happen if they weren't in the first person -when everything has to happen in front of sookie or she has to be told it happened for the reader to know.

OMG is in my "bookie bones" I forgot the fae magic to maryann's face - I will add that too.

thanks

vampfan said...

In the first book, Sookie does see Eric outside the hospital window, smiling at her and flying. If they explain Sookie's fae heritage, I hope they introduce Claudine (and Claude) to the show. Many times in the books it's Claudine who's saving Sookie, not a separate power that Sookie has. In the books, every vampire has a special gift. Isn't Bill's "gift" an extraordinary sense of smell?

Sylvia said...

vampfan, if I recall correctly Bill is able to levitate and he does so in the first book when he and Sookie are on that walk together.

Rita said...

Bill already new Hadley before he
came to BT as Amelia seemed to remember seeing him being at her apartment before.

Rose said...

@Dallas:
I'm kinda bummed that they cut out the Eric hovering for the kids, as well. That would make it look like he was trying to amuse the small ones (er, teacup humans),kind of ingratiating himself, so that it would get back to Sookie. You know, just like regular guys do when they are trying to impress a gal.
I was surprised to see that Sookie didn't have a new driveway when she got back from Dallas. Maybe after Maryann is evicted? That would really P.O. Billy boy. hah!

" Dallas " said...

Yes Heather Bill does levitate

Can I see you levitate?"
"Right here?" Bill sounded amused.
"Sure, why not? Unless there's a reason?"
"No, none at all." And he let go of my arms and began to rise.
I breathed a sigh of pure rapture. He floated up in the dark, gleaming like white marble in the moonlight.
When he was about two feet off the ground, he began hovering. I thought he was smiling down at me.

Sharon said...

This might be considered spoilery.

Rose,
AB took away the surprise new driveway, which I think appeared in Book 3(?), when Sookie told Eric at the beginning of this season that she needed the money for a new driveway. That was the money for which she asked as payment for going to Dallas.

She had complained to Eric about Bill giving his money to others (not saying who at this time - too spoilery), but not to her when she needed a new driveway. Eric arranged for her new driveway to be "the best" a gravel driveway could be, and paid for it all. I thought that was so much nicer than the nasty way she asked him for $5,000 for going to Dallas. Not that she shouldn't be paid. She should, since she gives up her regular work time and money.

And I agree, at least in part, that AB has certainly changed Eric's personality, and even more so, Sophie Ann's. I was very disappointed in her.

But back to Eric flying (sorry, got off topic), of course he can fly. He's 1,000 year old Viking vampire! He's got lots of skills and powers.

The Mad Giggler said...

Well, after Eric lets Lafayette feed from him he says "Got to fly." That was a reference to him literally flying to Dallas. No Anubis air for him! Even without that, I don't think it is out of left field for a vamp to fly. Supernatural creatures often seem to have special talents specific to the individual. So I did not find it strange at all.

Torah said...

I there! This is my first posting, though I've been reading this blog everyday for a while now... Please, please forgive me!:)
Also, I'd like to apologise in advance for any mistakes in my writing, since English is not my first language.

That said, I'd like to comment on this article.
I think many of this reviews are based on the assumption that a show should be easy to understand, specially since is a fun, somewhat light series. For me, that not only a huge mistake, but also reveals a small minded analysis. I appreciate a show that hints at things to be discovered and/or understand - of course I readall nine books, but not everything is the same and well... :)

Secondly, I must confess I was a bit disappointed at the path AB was going with is True Blood, but now... Although I still believe Bill is better than he should be (and Eric worse...), I also think that this is the best way to surprise us along the road.
I also think that, apart from the fact that AB already told us that the series would be following the books, there have been hints from the first season now. So I think we bookies will be quite happy with the development of the story. We're just to impacient and not quite used to this story being told from another point of view...:)

I should also say that it really annoys me that the "bad" reviews are always anonymous posts. Probably, that's the intention, but it seems childish and shows lack of courage to speak their minds and deal with negative responses. Sorry for bringing this out. Won't do it again, but I had to say it at least once... :)

Finally, I want to thank Dallas and all the girls that have been posting here, because my days brighten everytime I read new posts and comments! I'll be ure to post regularly from now on! (besides, we'll need all the entertainment we can get, since the season is ending and book 10 isn't here yet. Lord knows in a month or so I'll be ready to kill to get some Eric into my system...

Once again, Thanks!

" Dallas " said...

Welcome Torah

Just jump right in ...

Anonymous posts ARE NOT ALLOWED here you are "supposed to " sign in or sign your post..i just haven't closed anonymous posting and instead I just ask folk to just do it ...

You are welcome- I love hearing from you guys and I always read every word -even if i don't always comment.

Anonymous said...

When I was re-watching S1 (after I had read the books) I noticed that in a few episodes, Jason's hat has a panther on it.
I was quite amused.