Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Why Zombies Make Better Horror Movies Than Vampires

The battle of the undead on the big screen has been under way for some time now, and after months of hearing that vampires are taking over pop culture, it seems like we shouldn't quite put our friends the zombies (no, not those ones) down for the count. Over at Newsweek, Sarah Ball put together a few reasons as to why zombies will never beat vampires in a pop-culture zeitgeist-off thanks to our long-standing love-affair with the pale tortured types. But just this weekend, audiences proved that when it comes to the walking dead, the zombies still have what it takes to bring in the crowds.

Everybody has their personal preferences (and man I love those bloodsuckers), so even though I've watched more vampire content than I care to remember (I even sat through the pilot of The Vampire Diaries), and I'll always be a dedicated 'fan of the fang', I think that sometimes those drooling bumbling walking corpses might be better suited (at least these days) to the world of horror. Here's why:

After the jump: my top 3 reasons Zombies (might) make better horror movies.

read

1 comments:

Sharon said...

Zombies may make better horror movies than vampires, but vampires make better movie movies. Like Twilight (which sucked, pun intended), was not a horror movie. Maybe a fantasy, action romance??

I didn't see Interview as a Vampire as a horror flick either, though there were a few horrible parts. Mostly, it was just a good tale with gorgeous men. Loved it.

The comment about vampires being tidy to kill, (stake, dust, move on), was interesting in that the writer notes that Alan Ball has changed that to tons of gore. I don't really like that either. There need to be some traditions to hang on to.