Saturday, February 20, 2010

Queen Sophie Ann and the mystery of the missing bracelet

My friend Keyse emailed to say she has been geeking out a bit ( i think waiting til the next Sookie book and for True Blood to return in May and June) and posted about Sophie Anns bracelet from BK

Read on her excellent blog :

heads rolled for this
sorry, but i am geeking out right now...but doesn't this look like Sophie-Anne Leclerq's diamond bracelet? This is what it looked like in my head - Charlaine Harris fans will understand :)
Anzie Jewelry, White Topaz Heart Bracelet, $475

http://crocodiletears-keyse.blogspot.com/2010/02/heads-rolled-for-this.html


The first thing you must know about the diamond from the bracelet must fit in side a tampon applicator tube....

These are matching bracelet given to SophieAnn by at their wedding. She gave one to Sookies's cousin Hadley and after Hadley is murdered she brings Sookie down to New Orleans under the guise of letting Sookie go through and have her cousin things but really SA wants Sookie to help find out Hadley's murderer and what became of the other bracelet.

Here is the exchange from Definitely Dead
"Did you want something of Hadley's?" I asked her, my train of thought having veered away from
money. "You know, a remembrance?"
Something flashed in her eyes, something that surprised me.
"You took the words right out of my mouth," said the queen, with an adorable hint of a French accent.
Uh-oh. It couldn't be good that she'd switched on the charm.
"I did ask Hadley to hide something for me," she said. My bullshit meter was beeping like an alarm clock. "And if you come across it in your packing, I'd like to have it back."
"What does it look like?"
"It's a jewel," she said. "My husband gave it to me as an engagement gift. I happened to leave it here before I got married."
"You're welcome to look in Hadley's jewelry box," I said immediately. "If it belongs to you, of course you have to have it back."
"That's very kind of you," she said, her face back to its regular glassy smoothness. "It's a diamond, a large diamond, and it's fixed on a platinum bracelet."
I didn't remember anything like that in Hadley's stuff, but I hadn't looked carefully. I'd planned to pack Hadley's jewelry box intact so I could pick through it at my leisure in Bon Temps.
"Please, look now," I suggested. "I know that it would be like a faux pas to lose a present from your husband."
"Oh," she said gently, "you have no idea." Sophie-Anne closed her eyes for just a second, as if she were too anxious for words. "Andre," she said, and with that word he took off for the bedroom—didn't need any directions, I noticed—and while he was gone, the queen looked oddly incomplete.

later "I'll keep an eye open for the bracelet," I said. I suspected that the value of the jewelry did not lie in its appraisal. "Would that bracelet have been left here the last night before the wedding?" I asked cautiously.
I suspected my cousin Hadley had stolen the bracelet from the queen out of sheer pique that the queen was getting married. That seemed like a Hadley thing to do. If I'd known about Hadley's concealment of the bracelet, I would have asked the witches to roll the clock back on the ectoplasmic reconstruction.
We could have watched Hadley hide the thing.
The queen gave one short nod. "I must have it back," the queen said. "You understand, it's not the value of the diamond that concerns me? You understand, a wedding between vampire rulers is not a love
match, where much can be forgiven? To lose a gift from your spouse, that's a very grave offense. And our spring ball is scheduled for two nights from now. The king expects to see me wearing his gifts. If I'm not …" Her voice trailed away, and even Andre looked almost worried.

finally ...
"How'd you get it past the search?" the queen asked. "I'm sure the searchers were checking for it."
"I had the bracelet part on under my bandage," I said. "The diamond stood out too far, though, so I had to prize it out. I put it in a tampon holder. The vampire who did the searching didn't think of pulling out
the tampon, and she didn't really know how it was supposed to look, since she hadn't had a period in centuries."
"But it was put together," the queen said.
"Oh, I went into the ladies room after I'd had my purse searched. I had a little tube of superglue in my purse, too."

Trivia : where did Sookie find that Hadley had hidden the bracelet ?

2 comments:

Rita said...

Well if i recall it was in a coffee
can that Hadley had opened put the
bracelet in the coffee can and carefully sealed it back up,as Sookie
said that Hadley had been a crafter.

Sharon said...

In my mind it was more of a hard bracelet that fit like a cuff or band, with the diamond set in it.