Monday, March 9, 2009

Maybe we like Chick Lit that ‘Sucks’

This blog really caught my eye because I spent part of the weekend driving around Northeastern Texas and Northwestern Louisiana with a bunch of Sookie fans and this exact comment about escapism, the bad economy, rough electoral season and real life mainstream pressure was sited as a reason to love Sookie books. I sure think Boston Belle is expressing what others think here ...

Chick Lit that ‘Sucks’…in the literal sense (warning: title does not imply what you are thinking, read on…) by Boston Belle

I’m 26 years old. I was once a member of a book club. And though I enjoyed the chit chat and monthly gatherings, I found myself unsatisfied by the selections that were continuously voted in month after month. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate good literature and should state for the record that if you haven’t read the ‘classics’ you should, but (big fat BUT) I successfully survived high school and college English courses, so I feel like I’ve earned the right to unapologetically read my self-proclaimed ‘chick lit’ with no shame or duress. And with that, I introduce you to my latest batch of excitement: Sookie Stackhouse series ‘Dead and Gone.”

I understand and acknowledge that some people find my choice in literature to be a bit weak. There are not heartfelt stories (okay the occasional heartstrings here and there), or life-changing memoirs. You get what you pay for, and I for one find my $7.99 paperback novel to be WELL worth it’s price tag. :) I live in reality. Every single day. I’m dealing with this shitty economy, a stressful job load, and other every day horrors you read in the daily newspaper. So why the hell would I want to curl up with a book that doesn’t in any way displace me from reality? Yes, I find it silly to indulge in a world where vampires and werewolves not only exist, but are battling a never-ending war to save (or in some cases, destroy) the world. But it’s fun! It’s lighthearted and I know that no way in hell will it ever in a million years happen in reality. And I take comfort in that. Because no matter how badly my day sucks, I’d imagine it doesn’t compare to being sucked dry by a hungry vampire. Needless to say, I am beyond excited about the announcement of the release of the 9th Sookie in May 2009. Bring on the steamy love scenes with hot 1,000 year old Viking Eric. :) (and for those of you who are fans of HBO’s Trueblood—I’d like to state for the record that I was on this boat long before it became a Sunday night favorite.

Read more by Belle and the other Southern Fried bloggers here :
http://southernfriedblog.wordpress.com/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the props----love the blog! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm no super feminist, but what really annoys me is that whenever a women writes something it is classed as 'chick lit'.

It implies it's not as good as men's writing - just something fluffy and stupid for us stupid women.

How come there's no blanket term for male authors' work?!

" Dallas " said...

My opinion is that if you embrace the term -then you own it ! If we embrace it we can make it stand for anything WE WANT it to.

It's 'Lit' written specifically for a female audience :

Wikipedia:Chick lit is a term used to denote genre fiction within women's fiction written for and marketed to young women, especially single, working women in their twenties and thirties. The genre sells well, with chick lit titles topping bestseller lists and the creation of imprints devoted entirely to chick lit. It generally deals with the issues of modern women humorously and lightheartedly. [1]

Although usually including romantic elements, women's fiction (including chick lit) is generally not considered a direct subcategory of the romance novel genre, because in women's fiction the heroine's relationship with her family or friends may be equally as important as her relationship with the hero.