Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dallas responds to Charlaine's blog comment about DAG

We are having a great discussion in the comment area of the Charline Harris blog post that I posted yesterday. ( read it here )

This was my response to those that have been critical ..

The Sookie books are famous for inaccuracies and I think only 2 or 3 mistakes in 10 year's and 9 books are mistakes of import. I would also note that in subsequent printing the mistakes are being fixed.
In a very detail filled book series filled with hundreds of characters and entire worlds of supe cannon -I'd say that's a pretty good average.

I fault 80 % of these problems to the people who earn (lots) money from the sales of the Charlaine Harris books. (Publishers, agents, proof readers, editors etc) Everyone one who works with her KNOWS that she is not a detailed writer that plans and outlines in advance - THEY should help her fact check the books.

What I fault Charlaine for is NOT hiring ( and asking for ) help, until just the last few months she has run the Charlaine Harris.com empire from her little garage office in Arkansas without even employing an assistant. She has been writing all the books (over 30 from all 3 series) done the marketing and promotion without adequate assistance. I'm sure that mind set come from the YEARS of being a starving author who just has to do it all alone and on a shoe string. (I know you authors are familiar with that) I think it also may be a 'woman thing' to think you can do it yourself and handle everything and you must be weak in some way if you can't do all this and raise a family, make a life with a spouse, take care of elderly parents and be involved with your church and community. CH it seems is sure like a lot of us.

Now, as to the complaints about DAG that CH is addressing here, you know I've talked to lots of fans through this web site and on my radio show (I spoke to 20 reviewers recently on my blogtalk radio show ) and MOST of the complaints weren't about the little detail mistakes THEY were as she said "readers felt they should have had a vote in the plot developments of my book. They were angry with me that the book hadn't followed their own desired blueprint"

When I spoke on the DAG review show THIS IS exactly what I addressed , in my opinion if you are a strong shipper ( you want a permanent Sookie relationship) for one of the Sookie suitors you saw the book completely different than other readers who are not. In my experience, ( and obviously Charlaine's ) talking to folks about the book, most who were complaining were not complaining about the Clancy / Chow mistake or even the death of Claudine they were complaining about the plot and that they felt that all wasn't revealed or presented about their favorite character in the way and in the light in which they wanted it to happen.

Charlaine has not blogged one word in the last month. She had bit her lip, let the dust settle and calmly now written her opinion about the complaints and I say, HURRAH Charlaine!

One more point to folks who are ticked about purchasing books and not getting what they wanted for the money, NO ONE in this country has to purchase a book. Luckily almost everyone everywhere is only a few miles from a public library where books can be checked out for FREE! Check out the next Sookie book from the library first and decide whether you want to add it to your personal library.

This is just my opinion and I cherish Charlaine's opinion and all of yours .
Thanks guys for the GREAT discussion..

Visit Charlaine here http://www.charlaineharris.com/

If this subject intrigues you, I would highly suggest you read this article from the Wall Street Journal article "Lost in Fiction " HERE

**Kate Bee also says "Neil Gaiman had a wonderful post on the issue of readers being upset with authors: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html "

14 comments:

Kate Bee said...

Neil Gaiman had a wonderful post on the issue of readers being upset with authors: http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

Trust me, its worth reading and it set me free - Just in time too! Dead and Gone was waiting for me at the library only a week later.

" Dallas " said...

Thanks kate I'll add it !

DeeDee said...

Well said, Dallas.

Louisianagirl29 said...

Nobody is perfect. I love Charlaine's books. I have not one bad thing to say about any of them. I'm a big movie and TV buff. I never use to read much. When I heard about these books, my husband went out and got me the first three and then the rest for Christmas. I loved them so much and could not put them down. I think they are great just the way they are.

" Dallas " said...

Ch is the daughter of a librarian and a BIG proponent of reading and literacy and I'm betting that would be music to her ears.

Rita said...

i READ ALOT NOT BOOKS THOUGH,i've
only Harry Potter and Sookie Stack-
house,read Harry series one time and
Sookie i guess 3 or 4 times .CH has made the books so real i catch my-
self checking people out in different
places i go.All the people in the
people are great keep up the good
work and don't let any one get you
down.

Rita said...

Sorry,put in books and leave out
people.

Alainanoel said...

As fans and readers I think we all get so involved with our favorite authors and their books that we feel a sense of ownership. Let's face it, we all want our wishes for our favorite characters to come true.
For me, I enjoy whatever "ride" Charlaine takes us on because it's just that...a fun ride and she's the operator! So relax, kick back and enjoy!
P.S. The library has always been the best source for any books I want to read. Unless you want to start your own personal collection, stick with the library!

KathyD said...

I felt really bad for Charlaine after reading some of the bad reviews on Amazon. I loved DAG! I think anyone who is so critical should try to write a book themselves, and see how hard it must be. I think Charlaine has a real gift when it comes to creating characters that people feel so strongly about. I personally almost feel like I know these characters and the town of BonTemps-- it makes me want to move there and meet these people!
I also have a character I would prefer Sookie to end up with, but I am looking forward to whomever Charlaine decides is "the one" and I realize that these are "her" stories and it is her right to write them as she sees fit!!
I hope she continues the series, after Sookie makes her choice, as I think the big draw is Sookie herself--what a wonderful character she is, along with Charlaine's delightful sense of humor!

Anonymous said...

Well said Dallas!
Our local library's never get new book's though :(- I did however go from Target's to Borders to Barnes and Noble. I was able to read in snack bars and comfy chairs for free. When I was able to get the $'s, I bought my copy.
Readers opinion should NOT influence an authors writing. It would not be true to THEIR vision. That being said, I think that Sookie's story has taken on a life of it's own. Hence readers (so called fans) feel ownership. I'll just refer to all the naysaying as being from "fair weather fans".
Thanks,
Smargypants :)

" Dallas " said...

hey smargy

You can ILL (interlibrary loan ) any book from any municipal library just ask the librarians they can do it for you ...

http://www.lovingtruebloodindallas.com/2009/01/you-dont-need-to-buy-sookie-books-or.html

Thanks.."D"

Eleanor Infante said...

I have to disagree a little with your post. I think the readers have the right to feel whatever they feel. Charlaine has to realize that she can't also control how people feel about her book. I think the book is sort of rushed and I also think she is stretching the story now a tad too thin so that she can expand on her book deal. I think people have a right to be critical of the book. Being an artist, you have to be thick skinned. Once you put the work out there, you no longer can control it. My criticisms of the book have nothing to do with whoever I want Sookie to end up with. To be honest, I wish people would get off that whole trip. I also wish that the idea of her finding the one was never introduced on the boards. It takes away from the journey of the character.

" Dallas " said...

Yeah, I agree everyone can feel as they want and she can also say to them, if you are going to complain about what I write and be unpleasant - FOLLOW another author.

You are exactly right, this is all about what each of us likes and she DOESN'T seem to like fans who think they are entitled to tell her how to write her books ...

I think your criticism is one of the valid ones - but she is really addressing the OTHER kind of criticism.

Shes been a struggling published author for 10 years I think she's probably pretty tough skinned. Just that she didn't react immediately and thought about what she wanted to say for a month is a sign of that ...

I also thought about this last night ..DAG is still on the NYT best seller list a month after it's release, so there are PLENTY of readers who continue to willingly buy the hardback book and they've seen the reviews. I think the continuing sales say a lot ..

Thanks Eleanor

* I agree about the "journey of the character "( good term) !

Sharon said...

First, let me say that I know how she feels. I teach at a university and every semester my students get to evaluate me (big classes, 100+). I often seem to piss off a student or two and they write awful things. I can see 100 evals that are reasonably to very good, but the ones that stick in my mind are the couple of bad ones. Many other instructors feel the same way.

On the other hand, those reviews by readers on Amazon are important to me when I am looking for a new book or author. I agree that CH can guide the stories where she wants them and that that should not influence how many stars a reviewer gives a book. But how well it is written is certainly fodder for the reviewers. And DAG did have that feeling of being rushed. But the sex scene with Eric was not and I LOVED that!