Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A Second Look At: True Blood

from Time Magazine

Spoilers for last Sunday's True Blood coming up after the jump:

When HBO debuted True Blood a year ago, I wanted to like it better than I did:

Like most HBO series, vampire drama True Blood (Sundays, 9 p.m. E.T.) has a fantastic title sequence. To the tune of Jace Everett's dark country single Bad Things, images of death, lust and religious frenzy flash by. A woman writhes in black lingerie ... a preacher lays on hands ... a Venus flytrap snaps shut on a frog. It's a fever dream of Eros wrestling Thanatos in the middle of a tent revival. Damn! I think. I want to see the show those titles are for.

And maybe someday I will...

Over the past couple episodes, for the first time I feel like I actually am watching that show. My problem with True Blood had always been, as I wrote in that initial review, was that it was too caricatured. Well, it still is, I guess, when it comes to its human characters: in particular, the Jesus freaks of the Fellowship of the Sun are way too easy, simplistic targets for a show that still wants to say something about social prejudice. It's easy to feel superior to them, so we never really have to think or learn about them. (As opposed to, for instance, the more complicated Big Bads from any season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.)

read on

4 comments:

Sylvia said...

Although I am what some might call a vampire fan, I never really got into the Buffy series or it's Angel spin off so whenever I read reviews that compare True Blood to Buffy I find myself feeling a bit annoyed.

Yes, they are both shows containing a human who is involved with vampires but for me that's where the comparison ends.

mkld44eva2226 said...

I completely agree and I was a Buffy/Angel fanatic. Part of the appeal of True Blood is that is follows its on Vampire lore/mythology, just like every Vamp show. But True Blood has just got that extra oomph that a show on the WB really couldn't get into....

Rita said...

I agree True Blood is a whole new thing there is no comparison.

4csandar said...

I am vampire fanatic, started with watching re-runs of “Dark Shadows”. I watched Buffy, Angel, read all of Anne Rice’s books on the Vampires and the Mayfair Witches and even after all of that, I can honestly say with out a doubt the TRUE BLOOD episode is the best vampire show I have ever watched. Don’t get me wrong I still enjoy Angel, (watch it every morning while getting ready for work), however, there is no comparison between the two. I love each and every character on TRUE BLOO