Monday, August 24, 2009

True Blood Sucker Punch: Episode 10 from Mark Blankenship


From Mark on Huffington Post and you can also read it on his site The Critical Condition.

Welcome to Sucker Punch, the only blog post that ranks the gaudiest moments on this week's episode of True Blood.

Nearly everyone! Before we begin, I want to thank you for the great discussion about last week's episode, "I Will Rise Up." Many of you disagreed with my assessment of Godric as a half-finished character who is more intellectually intriguing than emotionally involving, and you defended your positions with elegant analysis. I'm proud to be part of our ongoing conversation about True Blood, because week after week, it produces comments that make me think.

But no matter how we feel about Godric, can we agree that Episode 10, "New World in My View," serves up a flaky batch of awesomeness biscuits?

I mean, as someone who loves this season for its wild action and surprising character development, I can't ask for more. There are so many Sucker Punch moments in Episode 10 that I scarcely know where to begin...

... so let's start with the first scene. Sookie's naughty dream about Eric is striking because it's so tender. Before he bites her, Eric lets Sookie kiss his face. We see them interacting with kind-hearted concern, suggesting that Eric (whom I assume is manipulating this dream) wants an actual connectionwith Sookie, and not just a scromp-fest. Every revelation about his emotional life just deepens our understanding of what vampires can be. Is it possible that, given the proper conditions, they could all be as thoughtful and gentle as Godric?

Read on

3 comments:

Rita said...

I enjoyed this sucker punch this time
as to the one he did last week,Mark
was right on with the things he said
in a way Maryann is what is inside us all,it is up to us to do the right thing listen to our inter voice.Tis the way i see it.

Sylvia said...

I was happy to hear that someone loved those Jason scenes as much as I did. I know plenty of people thought it was campy and unecessary but I love campy. Plus, it did a great job at revealing Jason's character to us even more.

The only thing I found disagreeable about this review is the suggestion that Eric is somehow manipulating Sookie's dreams. I just don't think that's possible. Their bond isn't very strong and even if it was I'm of the opinion that the bond only intensifies existing feelings and that it doesn't create them or influence them. That's just my opinion, though.

Rita said...

I enjoyed the Sookie dream Eric is not manipulating her dream,this is
what we all do in our sleep from
time to time.an Jason was just great.