Monday, November 9, 2009

Definitely Dead Review by Fyrefly

Review: Confused readers, take heart! You are not alone! The events of Definitely Dead take place *after* the events of the short story “One Word Answer”, which can be found in the anthology Bite, or in A Touch of Dead. I’ve been reading the Sookie Stackhouse books as a bit of fun when I’m tired, distracted, or otherwise having trouble concentrating.

So, when this book assumed that I knew that Hadley was dead, and started bringing up events I didn’t remember and characters I’d never heard of, after checking several times to be sure it really was the next one in the series, I assumed that I was just being thick . Not so! It wasn’t particularly hard to follow the story even without the background information, but it would have been nice to know up-front that the reason it felt like I was missing something is because I actually was.

read on

4 comments:

Sharon said...

It's probably just me, but I find it very annoying when writers put information in a short story that affects a series that they are writing in novel form. I read a lot of series, and I dislike having to track down some short story or novella to pick up some bit of information that has some consequences for the series. I try to get them at the library, since frequently the other stories aren't memorable.

" Dallas " said...

Charlaine has said that she is sorry she put a vital storyline info in a short story but I LOVE the short stories and love knowing more about certain characters, places , events ( those NOT vital to the main plot lines) if you've read the short stories !!

Yes you can always get the anthology through the library but you might find some other great writers by checking out the other short stories in the anthologies !

Rita said...

Well i really liked Dracula Night,
Gift Wrap,and Dancers In The Dark,i
really liked the last one best,but
they all are good reading.

Sharon said...

I love big, thick books and long, involved series. I find short stories frustrating. Just as I get into them, they end. I only seek them out when they are integral to some series I'm reading. That being said, I had already tracked down and read all 5 of those short stories. Dracula Night was my favorite.