Tuesday, November 25, 2008

What do we know about Sookieverse Vampires and sunshine ?


sookie rescues bill bk3

The door opened, and I checked to make sure the blanket, which happened to be fuzzy and yellow, completely covered his head. Bill moaned and went almost completely limp when he felt the sunlight, weak and watery as it was. I began talking to him under my breath, cursing him and challenging him to move, telling him I could keep him awake if that bitch Lorena could, telling him I would beat him up if he didn't make it to the car. Finally, with a tremendous effort that left me trembling, I got Bill to the trunk of the car. I pushed it open. "Bill,just sit on the lip here," I told him, tugging at him until he was facing me and sitting on the edge of the trunk. But the life left him completely at that point,and he simply collapsed backward. As he folded into the space, he made a deep pain noise that tore at my heart, and then he was absolutely silent and limp.

The explosion bk 7
“We could try sliding the coffins down.”
“They’d break on impact,” Cecile said.
“But the vamps would survive the explosion,” I pointed out.
“To be burned up by the sun,” Mr. Cataliades said. “Diantha and I will go up and try to get out the queen’s party, wrapped up in blankets. We’ll take them…” He looked at me desperately.
“Ambulances! Call 911 now! They can figure out where to take them!”
Diantha called 911 and was incoherent and desperate enough to get ambulances started to an explosion that had not happened yet. “The building’s on fire,” she said, which was like a future truth.“Go,” I told Mr. Cataliades, actually shoving the demon, and off he sped to the queen’s suite.

bk 6 II
I’d done everything about getting humans out that I could. Cataliades and Diantha could take care of the queen and Andre. Eric and Pam! I knew where Eric’s room was, thank God. I took the stairs.
“Eric, Pam!” I yelled. I fumbled for a light switch in the pitch-black room, felt the building sway. At least one of the upper charges had gone off. Oh, shit! Oh, shit! But the light came on, and I saw that Eric and Pam had gotten in the beds, not the coffins.
“Wake up!” I said, shaking Pam since she was closest. She didn’t stir at all. It was exactly like shaking a doll stuffed with sawdust. “Eric!” I screamed right in his ear.
This got a bit of a reaction; he was much older than Pam. His eyes opened a slit and tried to focus. “What?” he said. “You have to get up! You have to! You have to go out!”
“Daytime,” he whispered. He began to flop over on his side.
I slapped him harder than I’ve ever hit anyone in my life. I screamed, “Get up!” until my voice would hardly work. Finally Eric stirred and managed to sit up. He was wearing black silk pajama bottoms, thank God, and I spied the ceremonial black cloak tossed over his coffin. He hadn’t returned it to Quinn, which was huge luck. I arranged it over him and fastened it at the neck. I pulled the hood over his face. “Cover your head!” I yelled, and I heard a burst of noise above my head: shattering glass, followed by shrieks.
Eric would drop back to sleep if I didn’t keep him awake. At least he was trying. I
remembered that Bill had managed to stagger, under dire circumstances, at least for a few minutes. But Pam, though roughly the same age as Bill, simply could not be roused. I even pulled her long pale hair.
“You have to help me get Pam out,” I said finally, despairing. “Eric, you just have to.”
There was another roar and a lurch in the floor. I screamed, and Eric’s eyes went wide. He staggered to his feet. As if we’d shared thoughts like Barry and I could, we both shoved his coffin off its trestle and onto the carpet. Then we slid it over to the opaque slanting glass panel forming the side of the building.
Everything around us trembled and shook. Eric’s eyes were a little wider now, and he was concentrating so heavily on keeping himself moving that his strength was pulling on mine.
“Pam,” I said, trying to push him into more action. I opened the coffin, after some
desperate fumbling. Eric went over to his sleeping child, walking like his feet were sticking to the floor with each step. He took Pam’s shoulders and I took her feet, and we picked her up, blanket and all. The floor shook again, more violently this time, and we lurched over to the coffin and tossed Pam into it. I shut the lid and latched it, though a corner of Pam’s nightgown was sticking out.

Finally! We punched the coffin all the way through. The window let go of its frame and cascaded down the side of the building.
And Eric saw sunlight for the first time in a thousand years. He screamed, a terrible, gut wrenching noise. But in the next instant, he pulled the cloak tight around him. He grabbed me and hopped astride the coffin, and we pushed off with our feet. For just a fraction of a minute, we hung in the balance, and then we tilted forward. In the most awful moment of my life, we went out the window and began tobogganing down the building on the coffin. We would crash unless—

Suddenly we were off the coffin and kind of staggering through the air, Eric holding me to him with dogged persistence. I exhaled with profound relief. Of course, Eric could fly. In his light-stunned stupor, he couldn’t fly very well. This was not the smooth progress I’d experienced before; we had more of a zigzag, bobbing descent.
....However, the coffin with Pam inside had a bad landing, and Pam
came catapulting out of the remains of the wood and into the sunlight where she lay
motionless. Without making a sound, she began to burn. Eric landed on top of her and used the blanket to cover both of them. One of Pam’s feet was exposed, and the flesh was smoking. I covered it up.
I also heard the sound of sirens. I flagged down the first ambulance I saw, and the medics leaped out. I pointed to the blanketed heap. “Two vampires—get them out of the sun!” I said. The pair of EMTs, both young women, exchanged an incredulous glance. “What do we do with them?” asked the dark one.
“You take them to a nice basement somewhere, one without any windows, and you tell the owners to keep that basement open, because there are gonna be more.”

....halfway there. His face was bright red and steam was rising from his lips. Oh, my God. “What you going to do?” “I have to go back in there,” I said.
“Fool,” she said, and then threw herself in the ambulance, which took off.

bk 6 III

I looked into the opening revealed by the shifted debris. Bill was crouched inside, half his face burned away. He was wearing the clothes I’d last seen him in the night before. I arched myself over him to keep the sun off, and he said, “Thanks,” through cracked and bloody lips. He kept slipping in and out of his comatose daytime sleep.
“Jesus God,” I said. “Come help!” I called, and saw two men start toward me with a
blanket.

“I knew you’d find me,” Bill said, or did I imagine that?
I stayed hunched in the awkward position. There just wasn’t anything near enough to grab that would cover as much of him as I did. The smell was making me gag, but I stayed. He’d lasted this long only because he’d been covered by accident.
Though one fireman threw up, they covered him and took him away.

0 comments: