Monday, June 15, 2009

'True Blood' exclusive: Lafayette speaks!

WARNING: Stop reading if you have not watched the season premiere of True Blood. I mean it. Everyone else, onward and downward...

Now that you've seen the season 2 premiere of True Blood, join me in a chorus of, “Hallelujah, Lafayette lives!” Although last November’s cliffhanger seemed to suggest that series creator Alan Ball was remaining faithful to Charlaine Harris’ books and sending Nelsan Ellis’ fierce, flamboyant alter ego to an early grave, Sunday’s debut confirmed what many fans had hoped: Ball decided to spare the wildly popular character. But why? In this exclusive interview, Ellis has the surprising answer to that question, as well as scoop on another possible detour Ball has up his sleeve -- this one involving a deep connection between Lafayette and Alexander Skarsgard's Eric.

When you first signed on to the show, did Alan Ball assure you he would not be following the books when it came to this character?
NELSAN ELLIS: No, no no. When I first started it was only a one-year contract, so I thought I was a goner after the 12th episode. In fact, [Alan] didn’t tell me that he was bringing me back until after the table read for the [the season 1 finale]. He was like, ‘You know we’re not killing you, right?’ And I was like, “I didn’t know but thanks for telling me.

What was your reaction?
ELLIS: Thank you! I have a job for next season! That was my reaction.

Read on

0 comments: