Sunday, July 12, 2009

True Blood Episode 4

From Daemonstv

Jason

In this episode, Jason continues to become friendlier with Reverend Steve and his wife, Sarah, which actually fuels jealousy from some of the other people at the camp, especially Luke. He also gets put on a new mission. Can't wait to see how that one's going to turn out.

Oh and I have to mention my favorite quote, which is typical Jason:

Luke: "God will make sure evil gets punished."

Jason: "Yeah, then explain Europe to me."

You just have to love him, he just can't help it.

Sam

Sam's plans to leave town are being pushed back a little. And if you remember, at the end of last episode we saw that Daphne had a big scar on her back (which looked like the same one Sookie got). We don't learn much more about her scar, but her relationship with Sam does evolve, and there is a small reveal towards the end of the episode.

Tara

Tara makes a big decision in this episode, which impacts her living arrangements. It's also her birthday and let's just say Maryann has some big plans for her.

Lafayette

Poor Lafayette is recovering from his few days of nightmare. But let me tell you, there is this hilarious scene between Eric and Lafayette you don't want to miss. This is why so many people love his character.

Jessica

In the last episode, Bill interrupted Jessica and Hoyt's night together. Unfortunately, we won't see much of them in this episode, but something tells me it's not the end of their relationship.
Until then, Jessica ends up going to Dallas with Bill and Sookie. And I have to say, I really love her and I can't wait to see what kind of trouble she gets herself into during the trip.

Sookie

Sookie and Bill head to Dallas, but there is a surprise waiting for them at the arrival.
Also this week's cliffhanger involves Sookie, and is pretty damn cool if you ask me. I definitely didn't see it coming and I doubt you will either.

So don't forget to tune in to True Blood this Sunday, July 12, at 9pm on HBO.


From Rope of Silicon

Episode 4 of the second season begins at the Light of Day Leadership Conference as Jason tells the rest of his bunkmates he's moving out and just prior to a tough guy speech he removes his clip-on tie in a moment of hillbilly awesomeness, but it's not the last time he sets everyone straight. Later in the episode he's having lunch with Luke and another one of the Light of Day followers (sorry, I don't know his name) and the following conversation takes place:

JASON: I don't know who Lazarus was, but he sure as hell was not the first vampire. Everybody knows it was Dracula.

LUKE: It's in the Bible moron. Jesus brought Lazarus back from the dead.

JASON: So Jesus made the first vampire? Maybe Jesus was the first vampire. Man, he rose from the dead too, and he told people, "Hey y'all, drink my blood it'll give you special powers."

LUKE: Jesus never said that -

THIRD PARTY: The first vampire was Cain. Being a vampire is the mark of Cain. It's God's punishment for bringing the first evil into the world by killing his brother.

LUKE: No, the first evil was Eve, for eating the apple. That's why they call it Eve-il.

JASON: That wasn't even… That was just skirtin' the rules. Evil is making the premedicated choice to be a dick.

LUKE: One thing you can count on – God will make sure evil gets punished.

JASON: Yeah? Then explain Europe to me.

And yes, he says "premedicated" and not "premeditated". I listened to it three times to make sure. It's classic writing that raises an interesting religious aspect to the conversation all while maintaining the show's ability to make you laugh. On top of that, this show has found a perfect balance between using hillbilly nature as a comedic device all while never taking it so far it becomes stale or insulting.

The writers realize the absurdity of what is going on in "True Blood" is enough to make for comedic dialogue if approached with sincetiry. The best example I can think of — off the top of my head — is Detective Belflour's dedication to learning more about the pig he saw at Maryann's. Every time he brings it up it sounds ridiculous and makes me laugh just by the way he says "pig," but it is a completely legitimate storyline allowing for the joke to also serve as a storytelling device. Smart stuff.

Beyond that this episode has Bill admitting he is a self-hating vampire to which he tells Sookie, "I am a vampire… I am supposed to be tormented." Legitimate excuse. Sam and Daphne are getting closer as their skinny dipping session from the end of the last episode continues, but toward the end of the episode Daphne tells Sam she knows what he is… but now just what exactly is Daphne?

However, despite all of this, my favorite moment comes as Bill and Sookie head off with Jessica to Dallas to investigate the disappearance of the vampire Godric. There is a shot of Bill and Sookie in a limo that makes them look like the godfather couple of the vampire underworld as Jessica makes her first attempt to glamour someone. It is such a perfect picture, I can only hope it's the direction this show ends up taking things in the future.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article/tv-review-tonights-true-blood-episode-2-04-shake-and-fingerpop

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that Jason quote is funny at all.

There hasn't been anything much to laugh at this season. The show's writers just don't have Charlaine Harris' wit.

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed the quote. It made my night :)

Morgan said...

Great post! You had me laughing.. Man, this episode was so funny. Andy does say "pig" oddly..
and Jason is just hilarious. That conversation they were having at breakfast was just so funny.
Maybe it's because I adore Sam, but I'm suspicious of Daphne.. I don't like her gettin' close to Sam.
And when Eric is talking to Lafayette thru the window, and he is saying how Lafayette doesn't really have a choice, he looks good enough to eat. Though in the books, I did have a different vision of how Eric would look, but for that couple of seconds, it was pretty close.

Alex the Girl said...

Jason cracks me up! I love his character in the HBO series, as well as how they portray Andy Bellfleur. Ball has Andy's character down pact, "I'm a cop. It's what I am. It's what I do." And it shows in the series completely, even when he's off reveling at one of Maryanne's parties...Crazy!

Weekly cliffhangers annoy the hell out of me because you have to wait an entire week to find out what happens!

jesus said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.