Sunday, July 12, 2009

True Blood: Welcome to Dallas Sookie Stackhouse and True Blood ! Pt 2

Sookie Stackhouse ( Living Dead in Dallas )

...I'd forgotten the sprawl of Dallas, in the seven years since I'd graduated from high school. The lights of
the city were amazing, and the busyness. I stared out of the windows at everything we passed, and Bill smiled at me with an irritating indulgence.

The lovely Objectdesire and I using the Charlaine Harris book 'Living Dead in Dallas' last year came up with some actual Dallas locations that fit the places described in the book.
None of the places mentioned in the books are actual places in Dallas except DFW Airport and Dealey Plaza. ( which has to be mentioned in any thing set in Dallas)

These are also NOT filming locations, from what we understand all the "Dallas " True Blood scenes are being shot in California. But we might see a stock photo of the Dallas Skyline or Dealey plaza shot to authentically set the locations as being here ...but it's Hollywood magic.

So, what we had to do is use the distances and locations as described in the books and come up
There are 7 locations, I will post the first 3 today and the last 4 tomorrow.

4.) Stan Davis' house, University Park, Dallas TX

Isabelle drives Bill and Sookie from their downtown hotel down Elm Street past Dealey Plaza to Stan's house in University Park. UP is a small exclusive city located inside Dallas proper and is just a few miles north of Downtown Dallas. http://www.uptexas.org/

Many of the new houses in University Park are boxy, beige brick and over-sized for the lot. I chose this one because of the big front windows that would have been fired into during the FotS raid on the house ...

We drove for at least twenty more minutes, leaving business areas and entering residential. At first the structures were modest and boxy; but gradually, though the lots didn't seem that much larger, the houses began to grow as if they'd taken steroids. Our final destination was a huge house shoehorned onto a small lot. With its little ruffle of land around the cube of the house, it looked ridiculous, even in the dark. I sure could have stood a longer ride and more delay. We parked on the street in front of the mansion, for so it seemed to me.

Bill opened my door for me. I stood for a moment, reluctant to start the—proj
ect. I knew there were vampires inside, lots of them. I knew it the same way I would be able to discern that humans were waiting. But instead of positive surges of thought, the kind I'd get to indicate people, I got mental pictures of . . . how can I put it? There were holes in the air inside the house. Each hole represented a vampire.

I went a few feet down the short sidewalk to the front door, and there, fin
ally, I caught a mental whiff of human. The light over the door was on, so I could tell the house was of beige brick with white trim. The light, too, was for my benefit; any vampire could see far better than the sharpest-eyed human. Isabel led the way to the front door, which was framed in graduating arches of brick. There was a tasteful wreath of grapevines and dried flowers on the door, which almost disguised the peephole: This was clever mainstreaming.

I realized there was nothing apparent in this house's appearance to indicate that it was any different from an
y of the other oversized houses we'd passed, no outward indication that within lived vampires.

5.) Fellowship of the Sun Church ( and headquarters)

Now, we did find a local church that fit the description it was chosen because it fit the criteria of distance from downtown, large parking lot located on major streets
I won't name it her- publicly because I'm sure they are very nice people who DO not want to be associated with FotS. We actually pass a church every time we go to 'Bill's house " in NW Louisiana that fits the description to a 'T' See photo at left.

Hugo slowed and put on his turn signal when we came to a major intersection. We were about to turn into the parking lot of a large church; at least, it had formerly been a church. The sanctuary was huge, by Bon Temps standards.

Only Baptists could count that kind of attendance, in my neck of the woods, and that's if all their congregations joined together. The two-story sanctuary was flanked by two long one-story wings. The whole building was white-painted brick, and all the windows were tinted. There was a chemically green lawn surrounding the whole, and a huge parking lot.

The sign on the well-tended lawn read THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE SUN CENTER—Only Jesus Rose from the Dead.

6.) Hospital
The hospital where Luna and Sookie are treated after car accident. We think it's :

Baylor Hospital
3500 Gaston Ave Dallas, TX

The hospital was like all hospitals. Luna stuck to me like white to rice, and when we were in the same cubicle and a nurse entered to take down still more details. Lunasaid, "Tell Dr. Josephus that Luna Garza and her sister are here."I couldn't believe the massively self-assured Dr. Josephus had ever come down this tunnel before, but he seemed to know his way, and the staff didn't act startled at the sight of him. At the end of the tunnel, he pushed open a heavy metal door. Luna Garza nodded to him regally, said, "Many thanks," and wheeled me out into the night. There was a big old car parked out there. It was dark red or dark brown. As I looked around a little more, I realized that we were in an alley. There were big trash bins lining the wall, and I saw a cat pouncing on something—I didn't want to know what—between two of the bins. After the door whooshed pneumatically shut behind us, the alley was quiet. I began to feel afraid again.

7.)Bat's Wing Bar

The bar that Stan owns and where Farrell is kidnapped.
We think it's :
Lizard Lounge
2424 Swiss Ave, Dallas, TX 75204 http://thelizardlounge.com/

"Works in the club where he was last seen. It's one we own, The Bat's Wing." Bars were favorite enterprises for vampires, naturally, because their heaviest traffic came at night. Somehow, fanged all-night dry cleaners didn't have the same allure that a vampire-studded bar did. In the past two years, vampire bars had become the hottest form of nightlife a city could boast. The pathetic humans who became obsessed with vampires—fang-bangers—hung out in vampire bars, often in costumes, in the hopes of attracting the attention of the real thing. Tourists came in to gape at the undead and the fang-bangers. These bars weren't the safest place to work.

1 comments:

Woodstock said...

I've been to the Lizard Lounge! Even better, I went when it was The Church. It reeeeally makes you wonder about whether there are vampires dancing around you. :)