Tuesday, September 8, 2009

True Blood’s Ryan Kwanten On Playing Jason Stackhouse

From People Magazine

From battling addiction to vampire blood to getting mixed up with a fanatical religious group and then sleeping with the preacher’s wife, Ryan Kwanten’s True Blood character, Jason Stackhouse, is always getting into trouble on HBO’s hit show. Luckily for the 32-year-old Australian actor, who has lived in Los Angeles for seven years, he’s nothing like his rural Louisianan alter ego. “We look the same to a certain degree,” he jokes. “But my jeans aren’t as tight.” Before True Blood’s finale on Sept. 13, which Kwanten calls “the amalgamation of pretty much the entire season,” the actor spoke with PEOPLE about his character, Louisiana cooking and how he stays so darn ripped! –Aaron Parsley

Congrats on the success of True Blood. How does it feel?
It’s is not something that you set out expecting [because of] the amount of factors that have to fall into place for a show to even be picked up … True Blood was already a pretty tasty cake before and then now it’s just a nice little cherry on top.

Do you notice a difference between when the first season aired and now?
I’ve really noticed a difference in how people are aware of the show and of me. It’s certainly a new thing to me.

Were you familiar with the Sookie Stackhouse books before you started playing her brother Jason?
It was only after I got the role that I started reading the books to catch up with it, but even then [creator] Alan Ball made us aware that it wouldn’t be following word-for-word, story-for story with the books.

How far into the books have you read?
Two-and-half books. To be perfectly honest, I don’t think I’m particularly the demographic. It’s just not my thing.

What do you like about Jason Stackhouse?
He’s taught me not to think so much and not over analyze because he’s the type of guy who just sort of jumps into things without really thinking about them and obviously that gets him into trouble.

How did you get the accent down?
I wish I could say it was a long process of learning and arduous kind of hours. I obviously do my research of where it’s shooting and the various types of accents within Louisiana and in discussions with the director and with Alan you hang on something. They seemed to like what I had in the beginning so I stuck with that and refined it if need be.

read on

7 comments:

Rita said...

Well Dallas it seems that the actors
don't read the books because it inte-
rfears with the scripts but you know
to read the books would be more help
to know how the character is feeling,
i could be wrong like i am sometimes.

" Dallas " said...

That's ridiculous -everyone of them said they had read the books before season 1 -it didn't effect anyone capabilities to act.

So if they remake Gone with the wind i guess none of them can audition because they've read the book ?


I think Alex is one of the biggest of the book readers and Rutina's Mom

vampfan said...

Well if they've never read the books, then Alan Ball is a hell of a story teller as far as describing to the actors the type of character they are playing because all of them really have nailed the personality of the character they play, especially Stephen M. (Bill), Kristin B (Pam) and Sam T. (Sam).

Alexis said...

Dallas, I am so glad that Alex has read them (well most of them) and understood Eric's character completely. With the way the show (writing) portrays him at times, another actor could have totally ruined him. Poor Alex with having to defend Eric all the time with people who think he's "The Villain" of the story.

Anyway, as long as the characters stay true then reading the books isn't a big deal. I love Jason and Ryan's portrayal of him so as long as he continues to be awesome, it's all good.

Anonymous said...

Tehy are all great actors; He is a great actor; I love the dance in front of Lafeytte camera; better than the video Song: Soccer Practice, Artist: Jonny McGovern,
Album: Dirty Gay Hits

SarahFW said...

I don't think it matters one way or the other. Not every TV show or movie is translated from a novel, so a whole lot of actors have to create a character in their mind without the benefit of a book. If I were them I would have read the books just out of curiosity, but I also wouldn't be surprised if any of them had chosen not to.

" Dallas " said...

Rutina's mom read them all to see how long R would have a job - hahaha