Monday, September 7, 2009

Fashion & Costuming: Interview with Costume Designer Audrey Fisher

from Fashionably Marketing

This past year, I had the pleasure of working with Audrey Fisher, costume designer for HBO’s True Blood. As someone who loves fashion, I thought costuming would be closely aligned with the ever revolving door of fashion trends and style as they exist now and in the future. What I found was quite the contrary; costume design and fashion are quite different. Fashion is mask, it tells the story that it’s creator want to tell the world, while costume design goes below the surface to tell an inner story.

Audrey, how did you become a costume designer? What was your inspiration or the force that drove the passion?

From a very young age, I was always making costumes for myself, my friends, and my family. My path to costume design, however, was roundabout. In college, I had actually started toward a career in the literary department of theater studies, but in my extremely academic graduate program I found I was still making costumes in my spare time. It was all connected: I was interested in the way costumes could tell stories. Based on some hats I was making for an art class, a director asked me to design the costumes for her production of Medea at a downtown theater. That’s when costumes became my professional passion, with that first off-off-off-broadway show.


read on

0 comments: